Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my sled servieced and the track seems very tight on it. There isn't much if any drop when I hang the rear end. When I get on the gas it will bow down a little but not much more than 1.5". I thought there should be more play then this. I is even deflecting the lugs on the rear dolly wheels on the outer edge of the track. Is this too tight? Should I bring it back and complain? Thanks for your imput. I do know how to adjust it but haven't had much time lately so I figured, let the pros do it. :angry: kinda wish I would have done it my self. They also had a bunch of low temp greese smeared around where the zerks were, didn't look like too clean of a job.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The only way to be sure is get your manual out and check it. Over the years I've noticed many sled mechanics tend to set track tension on the tight side. I assume they do that in an effort to ensure the track has adequate tension after being run for a few miles, knowing most won't have it checked again until the following season.
Nothing beats doing it yourself if you have the expertise to do so.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
959 Posts
get a fishscale witha hook get the sled up and hook in the middle someplace i think theres supose to be 18lbs witha bout 1.5 to 2 inches play i run my track on the tight side it dosent hurt anything

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Theres no advantage to running it tight but there are a couple of disadvantages,
- increased slider wear
- harder on wheels
- harder on driveshaft and bearings
- increased friction
- decreased fuel mileage
- more likely for track to freese to sliders
- increased stress on the belt, especially when cold

advantages
- none

:hallo09:

·
Registered
285 Posts
And on cats with ETT and TSL running too tight, you will actually lose effective suspension travel. Try loosening it until it starts to ratchet under full throttle loads, then tighten only enough to prevent ratcheting. Of course a little snow would aid in this procedure. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts