Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about trying Track Lug Studs, the ones that screw directely into the lug on your track. Has anyone tried them yet? I have a 1.25 inch track and it seems like these would be a good alternative to the traditional stud. They would weigh less and cost alot less. I know they probably wouldnt hook up as well but I think they would still offer some saftey in the slippery corners and on icey trails. Let me know what you think, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
From what I have heard, they are alot less money when you compare equal numbers, but you have to install alot more track lug studs than how many normal studs you would have, so the money issue kinda goes away if you have to by 50% more track lug studs.

I was thinking about putting them on my track, but I am waiting to hear some feedback from riders here before I shell out the cash.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!
 These things suck a$%. A friend of mine put them in his 1.25 lug track and we rode 400 miles and just about all of them were either bent or the tip was worn right off. Maybe if you were to ride in perfect conditions all the time they would be ok. But you guys know how the conditions are around here. From one extreme to the other. Stick to the traditional.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rfmckee

Thanks, thats exactely the kind of feed back I needed!!! I just hadnt heard enough real life experience on how these things work. Thanks again bro, Ill just be happy with what I got.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your going to go off one guys opinon about the studs? I have 120 that i'm going to put in my track for a cross country race on Feb. 9 and 10, so after that i will let you know. I can give you two opinons then since my race partner will have them in his sled also.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great, I would really like to know as well.

I spoke with a C&A Representative and he had the same bad words to say about the lug studs that Were Not Made With Carbide Tips.

He claimed the carbide tipped lug studs survived 3 test sleds that put on over 1000 miles each with only one broken stud and no noticeable wear on the carbide.

Also the deeper lug tracks over 1 1/4 had noticeable wear on the hex section where the wrench would grab.
He also warned me that once they are in, you won't be able to remove them.

There is an arcticle in Snow Tech Magazine, they love them.

I can't wait to hear how they worked for you. Good Luck in your race.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hey, This guys were carbide tipped. Almost all tips were gone. Granted it was not the greatest conditions. You can take them out though. He took all of his out, it did kinda mess up his lugs a little but not much.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well here you go guys that are scepticle about them.  I Purchased 288 of them and installed them in my 1.25" Track.  When it was all said and done I ended up with 297 because someone couldn't count at the place that packaged them.  I am running the Carbide Tipped ones and really like them.  Yes, I have some missing, but not enough to worry about.  They provide great traction on Hard Pack and also make the sled safe on the ice.  I am going to put my sled on its side tonight and see how many are actually missing and will get back to you, but all in all I like them!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the  Bergstrom trailgrabbers and have not lost any yet. I put 128 in, wanted mostly for running lakes, and stopping on ice. They seem to work real well so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts