Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for eveyone that is interested in them, my oponion is they are great. I put them in my track for a 400 mile cross country race and they work great. I have about 700 miles on them and yes a couple are missing the carbide tips, but that is from running it on pavement getting gas. I would recommened you give them a try i will never run any other stud, because they are cheaper, and lighter then the others, and they hook up real good, and easy to replace.
The race was great first race ever and we got 5th place. We were riding ski-doo's. Would have done better if i would not have missed a 90 degree corner and ended up in the alders. I do know one thing Yamaha, Polaris and Cats, never had a good ride i watched all the riders getting the crap beat out of them in all the bumps. I even broke the sway bar and was still kicking a--, and do not plan on putting a new sway bar on.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I keep hearing good things about track lug studs. But on the other hand, I also keep hearing bad things. I have wanted to try them but with so many opposing views I don't know what to do! Help' I'm so confused. Has anybody had them rip through the lugs in their track? I have heard that alot of them go missing in action. You leave with so many and you come home with so many missing. I would like to use them for traction as well as the safety benifits. Had a bad expierience with ice a few years ago. Regular studding is an option but its so #### exspensive.  

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are real easy to put in takes 5/16 bit and a drill and screw them in your track. Put in 120 in about 15 minutes. I have had none rip out of mine, and when i first put them in i went and punched it on ice a bunch of times to see what they would do and never had any problems. A lot cheaper end up being about a $1.00 a peice. For that you can but about three times the studs, and they are as easy to replace as putting them in.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
All I can say is this. For the type of riding done in my area.(Northern MI). They suck. They are not durable enough. You have to ride on pavement to get gas and go into town most of the time. I have seen a friend with them and they just don't take the abuse. There is not enough carbide there. As far as them being way cheaper. That is a lie. You say they are about a buck a piece. That's great. I paid 1.10 a piece for my 1.40 stainless steel studs complete with 2 yr bend or break warrenty. So I don't believe there is that great of a cost save. As far as the amount of time saved to put them in. Yeah they are really quick to put in. But if you have to replace 20 of them after every ride. No time saved. Hey MXZ. How many have you replaced in your 700 miles. I currently have 900 miles on my regular studs and have not had to replace one. All still have carbide too.  Just my 2 cents. Just telling all what I have seen. I have heard of people saying they are great. But be realistic. You are gonna ride on the pavement.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rfmckee,
 mxzx600 is from from alaska and i don't think there is pavement there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you do need the tunnel protectors. And the pavement just don't be spinning on it and the studs should be fine. I have not replaced a stud yet. I will always use these studs, the biggest reason for me is they do not way as much. 109 studs with plates and nuts ways about 9 lbs, and 120 of these only way maybe at most 1.5 lbs. Huge difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i was thinking of asking about the lug studs cause none of my friends have em yet! thanks for all the info. has anybody seen a lug rip and blow a track yet? i'd say they just pull out? and maybe you could put a new one in about 3/4 of an inch away from the original hole? and the weight difference is awesome!!!this is off the subject but how do yall get holes in your track for regular studding? drill or a hot punch or
??any info greatly appreciated

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tried Lug studs in my Grand Touring 600 Just to see how they worked.   I was in decent snow, so its hard to tell.    they seemed OK.  At least one is missing, but it looks like I can just screw another one in there.   I'll report back later.   As for holes for regular studs.  There is a special drill bit you can get for about 7-10 bucks at any dealer.  It cuts the track.  Do not use a regular drill bit.   A trick my dealer uses is to use a 7mm bit even for a 5/16 stud.  It's more work, you have to screw the stud into the track, then put the nut on, but it is better for the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where I ride I have to break a trail up a pretty steep mountain to get to the main trail.  This is sometimes pretty tough and I end up digging into 12-16" of snow all the way down to the frozen ground. The track will be spinning like mad when it hits this frozen ground since I am still trying to get up.  Will these track lug studs just rip out in this situation?  Would I be better off with the regular studs?  I like the idea of the ease of installation that way I could do it right away with minimal time and work.  Sled is a 96 Yamaha Vmax 600 with fairly small lugs, only about .5-.6" tall.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
the imp~  Yes, there is a tool.  It is $9.  I am getting one this week since I am finally studding my machine.  It beats paying the dealer $50 to just drill the holes out!

·
Registered
59 Posts
by the way... i went to 3 dealers by me and only one has heard of lug studs. and they had some that were all pieces of carbide chips on the end of a 5/16 hex head screw? not like the carbide point i saw on the various vendors?? has anybody used the chip ones?? they were $75 for 96? way expensive or what?
?

·
Registered
240 Posts
XMURRAY:  The lug studs we are talking about are the carbide tipped from Bottom Line Traction (distributed by C&A).  You need at least a 1" lug to use them.  I suggest regular studs for you.   Also, they should bite better for hill climbing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts