Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input about track lug stud idea instead of push throughs. Will have an inch and quarter track and I don't feel that a push thru that long will hold up to 5,000 miles per year. Anybody here ever used them and to what success.

·
Registered
518 Posts
There's an article on them in the new Snotech mag. They did a test on them. I haven't read it yet though.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A buddy of mine put them on a mxz 600 and couldent keep them in the lugs, i would never ride behind him when he had them because i was scared id get shot.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes, Snowtech did a evaluation on them and the end result was to use them on the low H.P. sleds only. The bigger sleds were spitting them out and doing some lug ripping.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
in the snow tech article they did an 800 renegade and an  sks.the renegade only got around 1,000 miles and the sks I think said over 2,000, had a few losses on both and the sks spun the track the most and had some lug damage.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The guy I buy my sled parts from refuses to sell them because of the problems people have had with them, Woody's makes a push through for a 1.25" lug track

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a push thru type that long are they apt to flex over and pull thru or do they have a bigger head to try and prevent this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try using double backers on taller lug tracks. They are more rigid and will not pull through. Your pattern will vary slightly but at least the studs and backers  will not trash the track when flexing hard. I personally think the lug studs are weapons in a high hp sled. No desire to ride beyond a sled equipped with these. Some jackass put tech screws on his viper and ruined his buddies srx hood and windsheild when he darted from a stop and showerred him with metal. We were rolling laughing so hard until the guy came into the store where we were and we noticed a screw was wedged into the crack between his visor and helmet(open facer) Not funny!

A

·
0 Posts
The push thru's have a bigger head to prevent pull thru.  About the only way you should pull any out is if you are not running enough.  I have yet to lose one on my 96 ZRT.  Do yourself a favor get the push thrus.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't waste your time on the lugstud.
I bought them and a few tore out almost immediately. I called C&A PRO (the distributor) and they sent me the equivalent amount of their best carbide stud at no charge with no hassle. They are well aware of the problems associated and admit that they did not conduct proper field testing. Lessons learned I guess.  Good people at C&A PRO.  

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have to agree with eveyone else put them in last year rode 700 miles & sheared off lots of the outer lugs, now I must buy a new track and they did spit out, I rode in the back most of the season (no fun there). But I have to say I did like how I could stay on the gas in the corners and the great take offs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guys that lost them, how many did you have installed, what size lug, and what sled. What type of riding do you  do most of the time?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know a guy that has a shop and does alot of testing on aftermarket parts. For studding all he will do is the lug studs from C&A. He runs a long track ZR 800. He has had none pull out. The other brands he did have trouble with though.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Bobbler, I ran them in my sled this past winter and for the most part am pretty happy with them.  I purchased 288 of them and ended up with 297 total with their miscounts in the packs.  I'd say I am missing 10 - 15 of them.  I put just under 1800 Miles on the sled last year.  A friend of mine put 96 Lug Studs and 96 Push Through's on his 800MXZ and was not missing one of the lug studs.  I think it is a hit and miss on how well they hold up, a lot of it is going to depend on the trail conditions, and lord knows, we did not have the best conditions last year.  Good luck with whatever you decide, I like the ones in my sled!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like the trick is close to 300 lugstuds are required. For that cost may as well stick with regular studs. Why take the risk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I can't understand about the lugstuds issue is how any one who understands the force applied to them during normal riding would even consider using them. A buddy of mine purchased them for use on his new sled. When he showed them to me, I thought he had to be joking. I have bent,snapped, and pulled through, good quality push studs in the past. Can only imagine the holes in my sleds hood and my visor if my buddy would have actually used them on his track.
If your riding with any one with these lugstuds "lead don,t follow"  

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whether you use Lug Studs or Push Through Studs, expect to replace your track at 1500 mile intervals. My ZRT600 ripped the push through studs and cut the front cooler in two, I was 40 miles in the wilderness. Not Fun. the extra weight of the standard studs weakens the track, aside from the fact that now the cords have been cut, except pre molded holes, but the weight is still there. I now use an 1 1/2 136, and want to try the lug studs BUT.....what you guys said.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used them the last 2 seasons and for my type of riding (trail) they work great. They're not gonna hook up like a stud but they'll get you up an icy hill. Last year I lost about 12 which I think was due to the lack of snow and the fact that I had to tow 2 broke sleds, the year before I had lost none (3500mi.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts