Snowmobile World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general consensus on track porting? I just got done drilling 270 holes in my 1 3/4" x 136" track and it seems to clean out the snow from the rear suspension quite well. Originally I thought it would weaken the track too much, but the Crazy Mtn. Extreme guys are doing it to their new $24,000 sleds so I figured they must have tested it extensively and everything came out OK.

My pattern ended up being a 1 1/2" hole in the center of the track and two 7/8" holes on each side of the 1 1/2" (5 holes across between each set of lugs). Originally I wanted to do 1 1/4" all the way across, but I couldn't find my 1 1/4" hole saw! I figured 1 1/2" all the way across would be too much.

I guess theory is it takes out some of the "rotating mass" so the engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the track as well as sheds some snow weight from the rear suspension.

Any other +/-'s to look for/think about??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do you have a pic. So you mean 5 holes every band or did you alternate?

I am just curious.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went 5 across on every center band. I didn't do the outer edges since they are outside the hifax anyway. I'll try to remember to take a pic soon. Here is a pic of the crazy mtn extreme track after porting -

·
Registered
593 Posts
Okay cool. Thats a lot of track missing, i think it would make me nervous. But i guess up in the mountains there will be good snow conditions so less chances of catching something.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This intrigues me. Was just looking at the latest shipment of tracks at my Doo dealer. They had rectangular holes in them, 2 in the center, 1.25x1.75" approximately. I am interested in the longevity of the track. I ride trail/Mtns, about 50/50 so it would have to prove to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Originally I thought it would weaken the track too much, but the Crazy Mtn. Extreme guys are doing it to their new $24,000 sleds so I figured they must have tested it extensively and everything came out OK.

[/quote]

it wont be as strong as it was before. but i'll wager it works like a damn. i dont think the guy's in the $24000 league care to much about getting high mileage out of thier equiptment. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Nice work, someone has to have the [email protected] to go out and do it first :thumbsup: Please keep us updated on how the track works for ya. I have a 136 x 1.75 as well and am considering doing mine after this season is done, I've got a ton of miles on it and it wouldn't be a big loss if it need replacing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've put on a couple of good rides since the mod. So far so good. I haven't noticed any track damage or problems while riding. When I compared it to my buddy's sled after some powder riding, it was obvious that my track was clearing the snow much better. His rear suspension was full of snow and mine was almost clean.

Overall weight loss was a # or less, but the real weight savings will be in the snow loss!

Next project.....removing about 2/3 of the track clips. A friend of mine did this to his 151 and said he ended up taking about 5# off his track. He left every 3rd one on I think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One would think, that if you took a soldering iron or something to "cauterize" the hole, it would aid in holding the cords in and the track together???

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would really like to hear progress reports as well. Not so much on longevity as I think that a track is plenty stong enough to stay together even with the holes, but I have heard some reports of deeper trenches, especially when hillclimbing and boondocking. I mean the reason for longer tracks is more traction and better FLOTATION. So by removing surface area I would think these reports to be true. Have you experienced anything like this yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, After a few good rides now, the mod is doing great! Only problem I have encountered is the track stretched a bit and loosened up on me a little. I noticed this recently when it started ratcheting the drivers when I went from spinning the track to all the sudden grabbing some traction. I tightened it up a little tonight so we will see how it does tomorrow!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Life sucks...........

The track is doing great now that I tightened it a bit. Problem now is I smoked a piston! :cussing: Guess my spring riding is over now due to a lack of funds to buy parts....... :bash:

Anyway, as far as the track porting goes, so far so good! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You want the rubber to melt into the cords. First hole, heat up the hole saw or punch & go slow. don't try to push it through, let it melt it's way through. The bit will get really HOT. Going slow will keep the bit hot & melt everything together. Works good.
Life sucks...........

The track is doing great now that I tightened it a bit. Problem now is I smoked a piston! :cussing: Guess my spring riding is over now due to a lack of funds to buy parts....... :bash:

Anyway, as far as the track porting goes, so far so good! :thumbsup:[/b]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts