Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 2000 mxz 700 ripped a small chunk off the track on Monday. We were testing and adjusting things on the machines, must have run over something at some point, today just looking at the machine for some reason and noticed a tear on the outside edge of the track, its about
1-1 1/2 inches into the track from the edge and will be 3-4 inches max long once we clean the chunk off. He has 144 studs on it and the tear is not really close to the nearest stud ( about 4-6 inches away. Can we clean the tear and should we cautarize the edge?
What would be the threshold for a track tear or is it not worth risking?
Personally I think the track has not lost its strength, but I don't have much experiance with tracks

He is thinking of eventually putting on a rip saw or camoplast with built in studs 1 1/4 lugs.
Does anyone recommend the pre studded tracks

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would check with a dealer about the iceripper track. My buddy bought a ripsaw last year for his ZR 900 fuelie, because they told him anything over a 600 cc will pull the carbide tips out of the lugs. Not sure if the 700 would or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh yeah, check this in Orillia out. Ontario Track repair. Not sure of the address on the web but they say they can fix anything. They also sell used and take trade-ins on your old track.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yep I would try the Orillia track repair if you want their adress and phone numbers let me know I have their card in my wallet.

Grant.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I would try the Orillia track repair if you want their adress and phone numbers let me know I have their card in my wallet.

Grant.[/b]
I will try to reach them today about repairing it for now

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
177 Posts
Those guys are the biggest rip off... they charge you 100$-150$ PER repair and it doesnt add ANY structural integrity to the track at all... its purely cosmetic... I drilled those guys hard at the snowmobile show. It just seems like an absolute joke. The built in stud tracks are probably n ot the way you wanna go... they are made for ice fisherman and stuff... if you are riding even slightly aggressively, the ripsaw is your best bet... it's an amazing track.

p.s. - pre-drilled tracks are a great Idea. Saves so much work when trying to stud them, but if you are going to do that, get the ones that are drilled for the double backer studs... its the way to go.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those guys are the biggest rip off... they charge you 100$-150$ PER repair and it doesnt add ANY structural integrity to the track at all... its purely cosmetic... I drilled those guys hard at the snowmobile show. It just seems like an absolute joke. The built in stud tracks are probably n ot the way you wanna go... they are made for ice fisherman and stuff... if you are riding even slightly aggressively, the ripsaw is your best bet... it's an amazing track.

p.s. - pre-drilled tracks are a great Idea. Saves so much work when trying to stud them, but if you are going to do that, get the ones that are drilled for the double backer studs... its the way to go.[/b]
I talked to the track repair guys today and it does seem like a lot (100-150 for what is essentially all cosmetic. Royal has their rip saws on for $469 so with the repair my friend is one third there to a new track.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I talked to the track repair guys today and it does seem like a lot (100-150 for what is essentially all cosmetic. Royal has their rip saws on for $469 so with the repair my friend is one third there to a new track.[/b]
I agree, get a new track. The other may last a season or 1km. Jawz thought "it should be ok" and it tore apart and punctured his exchangers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
why not a used track from ebay etc?

Heck, you can find take-offs sometimes that have next to no miles on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts