Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you give some advice on studding a 800 mxz and a 98 mach 1.is it possible to just run 100 studs down the center belt of track?will this work?also what brand would you recommend?we have never studded before so we are totally new to this.how much is top end affected also.looking forward to hearing from the pros.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Never ran studs before this year either but after ladyk barrel rolled They were a necessity. We put 144 down the middle of her 02 mxz700 in a long V pattern 3 / line.  After 2000 plus kliks of abusive riding big road runs and hard riding.  The track and studs are mint. No bent or damaged studs. Some tips that were given to me , dont use the plastic or lite aluminum backers, use the heavy aluminum backers. They give so much more support. My bud who has a 02mxz800 put 144 on his track, outer edges too. After 500 kliks of riding with us the outer studs were very worn and some were bent. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Woodys gold diggers and 144 with aluminum backer plates.  I would ever go to 192.  

If you have the .8 somthing track go with the 1 inch studs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I put 192 woodys with aluminum disc washers on my 01 mxz 800 and with over 4000km on them they are in great shape still.I used a pattern from woody's that runs them on the outer edges as well and not a problem.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
692 Posts
98 mach 1 w/ 192 on it and on the outsid! caution when crossing a road go slow this is when the picks will bend, unless you ride in powder with no bare  or rocks you WILL get bending!! i cant see picks not. be sure to put the biggest carbides on that mach 1! your also going to see some ski lift so play with the front straps. i have the same sled, tunnel protection is a must!!!!!! and dont forget the front of it!!! i would also say to drop the a$$ end down to the low setting for more room. also if you do it use lock tight.dont want to throw a pick in the exchange!!  WOODYS

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have three friends with 98 mach 1's. one has 192 and the other two run the 120 pick V pattern. the 120 pick pattern pulls just as good as the 192 but without the extra weight and money. i have the pattern somewhere?? it goes 13 lugs and starts over from the center email me if youre interested

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
120 will pull as good as 192 but there is more strain on the studs.  They will rip out of the track if your not careful.  Its better to overstud then to understud and have 1 inch holes in your track.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey machz,, have you ever used a hot punch to stud your tracks?? all my buds do it and they almost never lose studs. my bud was cruising onto a lake last year and punched it, he bit through the snow and started spinning on the rocky shoreline. 50+ studs bent to hell but none ripped out? hot punches might be the way to go:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
All the weight on your track pressuring comes from the slide rails. For ideal traction one should stud both sides of each slide rail.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Using a "hot punch" for stud installation is an absolute no-no.  I think all stud manufacturers will tell you this.  The problem is that you can't be sure that your holes will be the correct diameter because you can't really control the "melting" of your track.  Your best bet is to use the drill bit designed for studding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts