Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 xcr 700, I purchased 144 studs for it this fall, I also bought the install kit, But I don't remember how the guy told me to do the pattern. My guide shows a picture of a track with studs in it, and below the picture it says 162/144 stud pattern.I'm thinking that, if he sold me 144, the 162 must be for a longer track?.
Also the guide shows studs in a track, but it doesn't say, OK using the template, drill holes 1,4,5,8 first row, then drill 10,15,16 next row. do I just guess.When the guy explained it to me 2 months ago it seemed easy. Boy I feel stupid!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check this out for patterns and installation instructions.
Just don't put any on the outsides of the tracks, and you'll have no problem. You'll need to use a 168 pattern to get 144 in without using the outer portions of the track.[/b]
Thanks ! but it doesn't say, using template, drill holes 1,4,5,8, and move to next bar.
Also why no studs on the outside? my track looks like it's in good shape!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I don't understand what you're talking about with teh 1,4,5,8 thing.

If you put studs on the outside the chances are much higher that you will destroy the track. They tend to pull out more on the outside, and if they pull out there, there's not much left before it rips all the way across.

Any talk you hear of studs being bad for track longevity all spring from studding the outside of the track.

·
Registered
476 Posts
A couple of more points, put studs in the ourside and inside for drag and lake racing. Studs just down the middle work better for trail riding, a lot less front end push, and as Newfie said, fewer problems too. The farther away the studs are from the hyfax, the less effective they are, so don't put any in the exact center of the track. Check out Woody's website (www.woodystraction.com) for patterns too. I like the chevron pattern ( like a tractor tire ) the best. Oh yeah, by a track cutter to put the holes in your track, you'll thank me later, especially if you try it with a regualr drill bit first. :D

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
This is what happens, over time, if you pic the outside and are hard on it (alot of road running, hard outta the turns etc).

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand what you're talking about with teh 1,4,5,8 thing.

If you put studs on the outside the chances are much higher that you will destroy the track. They tend to pull out more on the outside, and if they pull out there, there's not much left before it rips all the way across.

Any talk you hear of studs being bad for track longevity all spring from studding the outside of the track.[/b]
The pattern thing you buy has predrilled holes in it and each hole has a number.
I'm not good at taking advice [usually] but this time I think I will, on the no outer studs. I am an aggressive trail rider, not a lake rider. the reason I'm putting studs in is because i'm tired of being blown away on the slippery lakes by less powerful machines. not for racing.

Thanks both you guys for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The pattern thing you buy has predrilled holes in it and each hole has a number.
I'm not good at taking advice [usually] but this time I think I will, on the no outer studs. I am an aggressive trail rider, not a lake rider. the reason I'm putting studs in is because i'm tired of being blown away on the slippery lakes by less powerful machines. not for racing.

Thanks both you guys for your help![/b]
Dont forget the tunnel protectors or you will rip into your tunnel

·
Registered
443 Posts
doesnt it say at the side of the template what numbers to punch out for the 168 pattern?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts