Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions from some fellow Horsecollars, The track on my sled has a few spots where some studs tore out with minimal damage, I had double backer plates. In one area I lost a set of 2 with a larger tear on the middle part of the track closer to the edge(I have no studs in the outside) I rode about 1600 miles on it after happened last year with no more damage occurring. What would you guys do? replace or not?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Its awfully hard to say without seeing but in general tracks look worse than what they are. I dont use doubles on my stuff, for whatever reason, but I normally doo have at least 3 to 10 studs exit my track a season, usually on grass and then I run it on snow trail riding. I have a gut feeling your ok, but then again ........

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had the same problem with my track 2 years ago and thought it was fine until i raced some buds on a lake and ripped the track right off. and that was one #### of a ride. but it's your call

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true Winterfreak, I'm just lookin' for an extra push to go spend the money if you know what I mean. What brand is best? I'm leaning towards camoplast.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Are you saying the stud is still there just starting to rip? If so, remove the stud and be on your way. If the stud is pulled thru and there is a hole, replace the track. Dont get anything shorter than 1" when you do buy one.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
steimy,
 seeing how you are a school kid, unless you can steal one leave it be.  

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I guess I would be looking more at why you tore out a stud. You did'nt say what kind of sled and set up you were running or how many studs or what size. You need to be properly set up for each individual application. maybe you were I don't know but if it was me I would look into it, properly set up you shouldn't be tearing out studs. Then again a friend of mine is simply just hard on stuff. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm with Paul, leave it be.
Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to get worse, then replace it.  Otherwise, I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those that didn't know I have a 00 mxz 700, 96 studs (90 or so now) all double backer plates, all the studs are in the center portion of the track. I trail ride agrressively with some jumps here and there.

Paul I'm an apprentice electrician, not really a student. If I really had to I could spend the dough to get a new one. Plus I have almost 8000 miles on that track

Astro, what do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
8,000 is a lot of miles on a track, especially if you say you're an aggressive rider.  I had a 00 700 with about 6,800 miles on it and I started loosing a stud or two almost every trip I made towards the end.  The clips also started to wear pretty bad and started cracking and falling out so I was replacing them after every trip as well.  

It would probably be fine if you were a touring rider, but I'd hate to be at the controls when it blows out at 100mph!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys, I pretty much decided I will replace it, What is the best CAMOPLAST OR KIMPEX?

MIKADOO, I only said the track had 8000 miles on it, The engine is almost brand new, It had a full rebuild last march, crank, pistons, rings everything was replaced new. The best thing is I had a great dealer do the work and ski-doo paid half the cost on all the parts due to crank failure. So i'm not ready to get rid of her yet.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys, I pretty much decided I will replace it, What is the best CAMOPLAST OR KIMPEX?

MIKADOO, I only said the track had 8000 miles on it, The engine is almost brand new, It had a full rebuild last march, crank, pistons, rings everything was replaced new. The best thing is I had a great dealer do the work and ski-doo paid half the cost on all the parts due to crank failure. So i'm not ready to get rid of her yet.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you have 8000 miles, it's not only time for a track but a new sled! You are at the point where it will start nickel and dimeing you. If you can swing it, peddle it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts