Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relativly new to snowmobiles, so this may be a dumb question. I see most snowmobiles have tracks with at least a 1" lug length. I found a used sled I really like and it has a .75" track without studs. Will a .75" track hook up good, are there any pros/cons with a .75" over 1" or larger? Thanks-

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well if you've ever ridden w/ a 1" or 1.25" you will HATE the .75. That is a pretty small lug, especially w/o studs. It will probably do for you riding tho, I put up w/ a stock .88" last year. The .75 isnt THAT much smaller, you will probably live w/ it, but if you have enough money to upgrade a track I would DEFF recommend getting at least a 1"

·
Registered
448 Posts
It all depends on what sled it's on!!! People tend to forget that a sled 5 years old, still kicks ***!!! As long as the person rides it for the way it was intended to be ridden. I have a friend who wants me to put the ZR CC bars on my '97 ZRT - he just doesn't understand that, that would totally screw up the sled.

My sled has a .725" track, (192 studs) It's great! I would love to have a 1" track, but that's so it can double as a PWC!! :D

Best advice = ride your sled, see how you like it. If the rear end slides around too much, throw studs in it. It all depends on the sled, the rider, the terrain, etc... It's personal!

BTW, a 1" track (Camoplast staggered paddle) ('97 ZRT800), 192 studs, plus tax (ONT, CDN) = $1350- & I do the installation. It's an expensive decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would studding it make it alot better? Putting in studs would be cheaper and easier than getting a new track wouldnt it? Ans if so, would 96 be good or should I go for more? Thanks-

*BTW - its a 1999 arctic cat sno-pro 440

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
First off what kinda riding do you do. Are you goign to spend much time on ice, hard packed trails, or off trail lose snow. I think 96 studs would be a little on the low side i'm thinking 144 would be better. A brand new 1.25 campoplast out of tracksusa in MN just cost my friend $320 with shipping. If you can find a used one it would be about 250. If your on ice alot stay away from the 1.25 and go 1 finger with studs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are you sure on the track size you have? I thought the snow pro had a bigger camo than that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Your track will be fine on that 440 .... I put a .75 on my Phazer and it hooks up good .... and if you put studs 96 will be good ... No need to go overboard ..... put then down the center .... :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I suggest that you ride it first, and then ride a friends sled that is studded. Why spend the money, try it first. I myself like my 1.25 sneaker with 144 woody's. I have friends that hate to ride sleds with studs, Its just something you need to test, You need to figure out your style of riding.

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
708 Posts
the first thing I would do is look at the condition of the track. if it is wore then i would look to replace with longer lug style. if it is in good shape then stud it and have fun. IMO I would not spend the money to change a track unless it really needs it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts