Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who bought a pair of sleds and he is gonna stud his and he would like to know what to do to his wifes for some extra traction when it gets icy.
I havent dealt with a 380 since back when we had a 97 for 2 seasons and I think all we did was get those trail grabbers and some of those fell out. We also bought the runners with the hard weld for the skiis and I think my wife liked the way it handled.

What do you recommend for his wifes sled as far as overall traction front and back?

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Run 96 studs down the middle and run a 6in carbide up front...will handle like its on rails! SWRules

·
Registered
269 Posts
My brother in law had only 48 in his and had a tear-out because it wasn't enough...it alittle money now or alot later! SWRules

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are studs the best way to go?

What all will need to be done?

Remove seat and install the tunnel protector kit?

I dont think they will need to stud it myself, I think with enough trailgrabbers it will be all good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You may need to intall a tunnel protector, but studs are deff a good thing to have on ice. Personally I like the 1.25" over studs, but that doesnt do you any good on ice. If your going w/ studs get the Woodys gold diggers. What height track is it??

·
Registered
328 Posts
I personally don't see why a 380 would need studs for traction. Unless the conditions they ride in are icy a lot. Just my opinion. Is your friends wife new to the sport? If so it may be a good idea to stud it though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If your wife is new to the sport its best to stud it....I think studs are good for new riders because it greatly helps the braking of the sled, and cornering..even a 380 can get away from a new rider. SWRules

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
72 studs :sly:

Icy corners and stops are the reasons why :sly:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
A tear out on a 380 ??? Must have hit something on the trail as my wifes has over 10,000km on it and not on tear out.Don't listen to sled crazy as 1.25 studs are far to large for this machine as most have the .75 or .88 track.
On a 380 you only want a little additional traction for stopping and those icy corners/hills as they are far from a lake racer or power machine but a good choice for someone just getting into the sport.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is new to the sport but Im just not so sure she would need studs in that little 380.
When me and my wife got into the sport she started with a 380 as well and all we used was the Trail Grabbers and hardweld runners on the skiis and she never had a problem.
So I was trying to see if people still used the Trail Grabbers and how many would be right for this sled but it looks like most of you guys would go through the trouble of installing the tunnel protector kit and stud this little sled.
Maybe I will tell my friend that most people say to stud it and see if he just wants to go ahead and do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts