Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer to trade in my 99 Indy 500 which is in excellent condition with a clutch kit, studs, skidplate, cobra windshield.  I am looking to trade it for a 99 XC 700 SP.  It has about the same miles as my sled but it has a crack above the speedometer and the light is burnt out also.  The low beams work but when you switch to high beam the low and high beams cut out.  The track has a lot of studs missing like someone was taking them off and stopped.  The dealer said they would fix the electrical problems and trade with me paying an extra $600.  Is that a good deal, what are your opinions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
My buddy has one, it's a huge gas and oil hog!!, My 02 600xc walks all over it. I'd shop around alittle you might find a late season bargain on something newer. I think the dealers are getting real nervous with the lack of snow this winter and are going to start unloading their stock real cheap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Huh.....  I have a 99 700XC and it is a rocket.  Two buddies have 00 700's and I run all over them.  Another guy has a 01 600Xves and I walk all over that sled also.  None of these sleds are stock.  It is not that bad on gas after you adjust needles/jetting.  I burn less than 1/2 quart of oil on a 170 mile ride.  If you think this is the worst sled Polaris ever made you need to see a doctor.      

·
Registered
22 Posts
the best used sled is one that you know the history on.  I would hang on to the 500 untill you can buy a new one with cash.  do not finance toys......... a rich man once said.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What do you know Mo-Fo that we do not??  I have over 3K miles with NO problems and all the power I need.  I know of three others in the UP that are faster than mine.  The more mods I do to it the faster it gets.  Without losing reliability of the machine.

I do agree with you on waiting for the end of season sales.  There are going to be some great buys this year.  I am looking for a 600X for a backup sled.  Those things are quick on the twisties.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tundrahog

Relax, I didnt call your mom a name or say your wife was fat..lol. Maybe I miss spoke, I should of said "in my experience" and in my friends experience I wouldnt recommend the sled. I've also known other people who have had this sled that are not happy with it. You can throw mods on about anything and make it perform. I'm happy you have one that rocks.. I'm not trying to rip you for owning one, I hope it lasts you a long long time. The dude asks for our (members) opinions, so I gave him mine, and you gave him yours.     Ride safe Bro!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wasn't trying to start anything....  Just wanted to know what you seen/experienced?  This sled is a dog in the low to mid range stock.  Polaris ran this sled very fat out of the box.    

In the used market this year I'm sure you could find great deal.  Thats why I'm looking for a backup sled to ride!

I still can't get used to sitting that far off the ground on the edge chassis.  It handles bumps quite well though.    

·
Registered
193 Posts
#1 - From what I've heard there is a lot of differences on the 99-00 700 right from the factory.  Some are really pigs others are decent.

#2 - Either way, these are good engines, in good sleds, with piss-poor carb setups and clutching.  If it was one of the dogs, and you change these things it should be decent.  If it wasn't, and you change them it should be a rocket.

Either way, I've heard bad things about gas and oil consumption, and being really fat, but not much bad about reliability.  

FYI.  My '00 was decent to start, and then I started "tweaking" I love to run across people that see it's a '00 700 and think it's a dog.  For their assumptions, I proceed to show them my snowflap.

Back to your origional question, just from what you've said, I would stay away from it.  There's got to be better out there.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
From what I under stand,you are looking to get a 700xc,and a dealer has one that he will trade you for 600 toboot.Now what is your question,wether it is a good sled or if the price is fare.The sled is a good one,and you will be happy with the increase in performance over the Indy 500(fuji motor).As far as the price I think it is fare since there is quite a price spread between these two models.I would take the goodies out of the 500 before trading ie clutch kit and studs.maybe you can sell then and make up some of the cost dif.As far as the 700 goes I have not seen it to tell you if the sled is in good shape. What does the hood lock like,any cracks,the track have any rips in it,the seat in good shape,any tares in it,how is the suspensionfront and back,any thing bent or broken,how is the motor,good compresion is it clean under the hood.does the sled look like it was beat the piss out of then parked in a back yard and never looked ator does it look good and look like the perevios owner took care of it except for the crack above the speedo?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mo-Fo.if your walking all over a non ves 700 ,its not jetted or clutched right.gas pig Yes.but a tempa flow  and proper needles will fix it                                                                                                                                                                    Denny you might a sled guru.i,m not here that often .but to say it,s the worst pol sled ever takes  away any credibility you have.pretty obvious you ride other then pol.  

oh by the way this  JMO......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts