Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have caught up to a rider(s) that is poking along on a trail that you can't safely pass them while they are moving? I've had this happen a few times. You pull right up behind them, they look back at you puzzled and keep on going.

A few years ago,e followed a couple on TOP C north of Parry Sound for about 2 miles with out them letting our group go by. The first sled was a Plus and the second was a Citation LS.

The guy on the Plus knew we were there because he kept looking back. The 8 of us were bunched up behind the Citation.

Finally our leader went "balls to the wall" and passed them. There was a bit of roost when he passed the Plus. He got the hint and they pulled over and let the rest of us go.

If I hear someone come up behind me, I give them a signal that I know they're there and motion them to go when it's safe. Some times, you might get a wave instead of a finger  

Maybe some people's egos can't let them allow other people pass them or they are the same people as those on the highway that figure the speed limit is XXX and I'm doing it no matter what others think.

I guess in some ways it might have something to do with how experienced a rider is. I rode on my first sled since 1969 and have been riding my own since '79, so compared to some riders (and I'm not saying I'm an expert), I've been out on the trails quite a long time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Some of us are out enjoying the scenery while the others are
out there like there on a race track. I'm not judging anybody here because I do both but I know what you mean. It's like being boxed in by three or four minivans  
on the freeway that are all doing the same speed and won't move out the way. Funny thing is, is that probably two out of the four minivans have NASCAR stickers on them. Move it or loose it you grocery getting, suburban mom mobiles!  

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I have ran into that problem several times before where there is a large group that is going slow and won't let you pass.  Now I have no problem at all with people that want to ride slower, but they should at least have the decency to let others pass.
I am sure that allot of it has to do with inexperience though also and they just don't know what to do.

Last edited by Rocketman at Mar. 26, 2002, 4:53pm

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I had an expierience where i got caught behind a group of five guys on the trail. The trail ran down the ditch, along the highway with stubble fields along the other side. Now I must clarify that this is a marked, groomed, and patrolled trail. While riding behind this group, they split off into the stubble, off the trail, and out of site. I continued along the trail to where it took a right turn down another highway ditch. Low and behold, this group of guys decided to take the shortcut through the stubble feild. Well, to make a long story short, if I was 5 seconds sooner, I would have been dead. The first two guys blasted on to the trail with out even yeilding to the trail, right in front of me. The rest of the guys stopped luckily, or i would have been toast. So now i'm in the middle of the group. The second guy lets me pass with no prob. The lead guy had some sort of ego and would not let me pass. He would pull over and slow down and when I went to pass he would honk on it! So lets just say that the old middle finger was in operation that day. I wanted to pull him over and slap the $h$T out of him but I was to outnumbered!  

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know what you mean and I've been stuck behind groups like that many times. There is no simple answer to your question though. If you're riding in Ontario or Quebec as an example, the speed limit on all trails is 50 and 70 KPH respectively. Those people that we'd all like to pass are most of the time going at the speed limit and they probably have the right to be riding at that speed without being expected to pull over everytime someone wants to pass them. At the same time, those speed limits are in my opinion rediculously slow in some cases. So what's the answer a trail system for each???

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to worry that the same thing could happen on the trail as on the highways. A rider who is fed up about being stuck behind a group, takes a chance he normally wouldn't and gets into an accident.

Another example of inexperience I saw was 2 people on Indy Lites riding right down the middle of the trail. Before I caught up to them, I noticed fresh tracks right down the middle. I was riding between the one ski track and the edge of the trail. We never met anyone before we passed them, but I would hate to have been someone coming the other way and meet them on a hill.

Here in Ontario we see all these commercials with the Intrepid Snowmobiler talking about how sledders care about the enviroment. STV has the weekly Ice Rider "watch the guy flounder around in the lake" safety tip. Why not have some ads or segments about staying on your side of the trail and courtesy. Heck I maight even send them an email after that last thought  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
it happens and we all have to bide our time. i know that when someone comes up behind me i get over just some people must get hurt feelings to think they can be passed.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have to agree with you revrnd, there is nothing more dangerous than coming across  slowbag idiots weaving all over the trail.It usually only takes one gade to pass then they realize they need to stay on their side of the trail. If someone wants to pass me I pullover and let them pass. I am  NEVER a danger to others on the trail, I stay on MY side and ride within my limits according to conditions. I am in control of my ride 99.99% of the time

If you cant stay on your side of the trail stay home!!!!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I never ever mind being passed I do mind the rooster tail or a snow bath when anyone passes me  It is very inconsiderate because I will always let someone past and it wont take two miles before I know you are there.  a little patience and courtesy goes a long way.  

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (alindazip @ Mar. 22, 2002, 7:35pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I never ever mind being passed I do mind the rooster tail or a snow bath when anyone passes me  It is very inconsiderate because I will always let someone past and it wont take two miles before I know you are there.  a little patience and courtesy goes a long way.  
[/b][/quote]
You sound like a considerate rider.If you know someone is there within 2 miles thats great and  I try to be considerate passing and not shoot snow at people who let me by.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
there are people of all sorts out there.    the worst i have ever seen is in yellowstone  people ride on the right, the left ,and right in the middle of the road.   you follow behind people they look back and see you and plod along.   then they may see a bison and jam on the brakes.   they also may see you and when you go to pass they head right towards you not fun.   the worst tough is when you are out on some off the back trails they stopp in the middle of the trail where you can,t see them.   the locals call them(spores) STUPID PEOPLE ON RENTAL EQUIPMENT           THE S IS BECUSE OF HOW MANY OF THEM THERE ARE.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can imagine the what it's like out there with first time snowmobilers on rental sleds  

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (highlandergerman @ Mar. 22, 2002, 9:14pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there are people of all sorts out there.    the worst i have ever seen is in yellowstone  people ride on the right, the left ,and right in the middle of the road.   you follow behind people they look back and see you and plod along.   then they may see a bison and jam on the brakes.   they also may see you and when you go to pass they head right towards you not fun.   the worst tough is when you are out on some off the back trails they stopp in the middle of the trail where you can,t see them.   the locals call them(spores) STUPID PEOPLE ON RENTAL EQUIPMENT           THE S IS BECUSE OF HOW MANY OF THEM THERE ARE.[/b][/quote]
ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
308 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LadyK @ Mar. 21, 2002, 8:50pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (alindazip @ Mar. 22, 2002, 7:35pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I never ever mind being passed I do mind the rooster tail or a snow bath when anyone passes me  It is very inconsiderate because I will always let someone past and it wont take two miles before I know you are there.  a little patience and courtesy goes a long way.  
[/b][/quote]
You sound like a considerate rider.If you know someone is there within 2 miles thats great and  I try to be considerate passing and not shoot snow at people who let me by.[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the compliment  I learned very early that driving and not watching behind you was a bad thing when I looked in the rearview mirror and could see the cops eyes following me while I was doing 75+ in a 45 mph speed zone.
 I also drive a tractor &Trailer rigg and you always have to know what is behind you as well as in front.  ride safe

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been trapped behind slow riders & I mean really slow.  The worst was a couple with brand new legend 380's.  They couldn't be going more than 10 mph!  No room to pass, that was frustrating!  

On the other end of the spectrum; riding up around Mt. St. Louis, a group of 3 or 4 (young) on modded MXZ's came up beside me on a snow road.  My group rides fast, but these guys looked like they were ready to rock!  So being the leader I wave them ahead.  Bad idea.  These guys would have been better off on 380's!!!  Frustrating as h*ll!  We ended up passing them a few km's down the trail!
So it goes both ways! lol!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was out riding with a small group of friends when we came to a T intersection I wanted to go straight thru and there was this group of sleds there, stopped, riders huddled around each other looking at a map I thought no probs I know where I am maybe I can help none of them was making a signal for me to stop so I carried on carefully the problem was they were parked abreast (about 5 sleds) and I had to go up and around the sign post to get by them not cool there was lota of room for them to park out of the way but they were right in the middle of the trail. Just because you pay for a trail permit that doesn't mean you own the whole trail. Some times when we stop I have to remind others in my group to pull over further. This is good leadership if they don't want to listen I don't ask them to ride with me again!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ZRT800 @ Mar. 22, 2002, 10:49pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My group rides fast, but these guys looked like they were ready to rock!  So being the leader I wave them ahead.  Bad idea.  These guys would have been better off on 380's!!!  Frustrating as h*ll!  We ended up passing them a few km's down the trail!
So it goes both ways! lol![/b][/quote]
Been there ,done that.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Formulaman, I know exactly what you're talking about. A couple of guys I ride with can't seem to get into their heads about stopping behind the guy ahead of them They always pull up beside someone. I'm always afraid the rider will step off the sled and get hit.

Also, the last Saturday I was riding I came across 2 groups of sleds going both directions, stopped on the trail. There was only 3 or 4 riders in each group, but they had stopped in the same spot, and there was barely enough room for me to get between them  

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is an answer to your problem, trouble is that most (and I know that I am going to get some kickback here but it is true)guys are so vain that they wouldn't want to take away from the "looks" of their "pretty" sled by putting at least one mirror on the hood. Left hand side is all you need.  A quick glance and you can see if your buddies are still there or if you have a few extra people behind you.  No surprises and you can safely let them know you are letting them pass.  I have one and let me tell you they sure are nice to have as I do alot of trail riding on fairly busy trails.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few years ago I rode a BLT (oops) a XLT that had mirrors. I have them on my 600 and the 500 I had before. If you have a buddy or buddies behind you and it's not blowing snow, you aren't constantly twisting around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts