Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have heard some people say that speed limits and stuff like that will be inforced soon around here (Manitoba,Canada). I was woundering if any other areas in canada and the US have speed limits and does this go on your licence? Do you think they will have cops on sleds that could actualy catch us.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Our speed limit is 55mph.  Or if you're in the ditch, the limit is whatever the limit is on the road if it's under 55.  I think if you get caught fleeing on your sled, they'll take your sled away.  I can't remember if any violations go on your driving record.  Let me check.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
In Ontario, the max limit on any OFSC trail is 50km.  (and we all drive that speed too)  

I did hear of a few speeding tickets last year, but don't know if they affect your record.  However if you can loose your drivers licence for riding a bicycle drunk, I'm sure speeding on a sled will also affect your license.

FishHog

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Here in Michigan the speed limit is 55 day or night, no after market pipes or cans, no headlight covers and your hands cannot leave the handle bars while under motion......
A violation of any one of these means immediate confication of your sled and to be sold at the auction in Bronson!

hehehehehehheheh

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since when has Mich had a speed limit?  I have come upon DNR a trail intersections and never had any problems.  There is no possible way that they could not have noticed that I was speeding either.  Usually I have to wait for others to catch me and the DNR looks at the trail permit and then I b.s. with them till the rest of my group arrives.  All of the DNR sleds I have seen are 500cc touring sleds.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) sleds I have seen have all been touring sleds also.  I believe they were only 380 fan sleds.

FishHog

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mikadoo @ July 31, 2002, 7:16pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">your hands cannot leave the handle bars while under motion......[/b][/quote]
You're kidding aren't you? If not how are you supposed to signal?

The OPP has been out in force last winter with the radar. They were also ticketing for coloured headlight bulbs. MSV Act says they must be white.

The Peterborough OPP that were patrolling on the Paudash trails had 500 fan Tourings (ZX chassis)

One of the things that Bill 101 included was a "fleeing" section. We had a case in Apsley where the cops tried to stop a rider & he just took off.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Some changes in Vermont this year. Stock pipes and cans only. Colored light lenses no longer permitted.(Will trade mine, yellow for 01 MXZ800, for snow flap) Landownwers have the right to curfew during night hours(11p.m. - 6a.m.) Mandatory liabilty insurance starting in September 03. The curfew thing is a problem for me because getting from point a to point b in Vt. often calls for going by residences. Our "mounties" in the Rutland area ride the new cat four bangers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man if speed limits were inforced in Manitoba a lot of people would be pissed off for a while. That takes most of the fun out of it all. I love raceing cars on the hiways and riping past them going 80-100 mph.

I also head that they may be making us put large numbers on our hoods for trail passes or something. My sled will look like a boat after all this crap. Is it like this in Ontario yet?

Who wants to go 30 mph anyways? We may as well buy 340 fans like the Rcmp.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes the speed limit is 55mph in Michigan unless otherwise posted. Same on lakes to, just like boats. It's not enforced hardly at all so no big deal, ask a DNR sometime.

3 cheers for Vermont! At least their trying to save snowmobiling! You guy's with loud sleds and silly light covers will hopefully HAVE to follow Vermont's laws someday[here we go again laws] or go back to the old day's of riding your $8000.00 sled in YOUR backyard.
Sorry to sound like a dick, but if you few violators dont wake up, the sport will be gone for all of us  

revrnd, you will never see me raise my hands on the trail! I think it is the dumbest thing anyone can do! As I have stated in many other posts on this subject. I think it totally unsafe and serves no purpose what's so ever.IMO

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mikadoo @ Aug. 01, 2002, 5:02pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">revrnd, you will never see me raise my hands on the trail! I think it is the dumbest thing anyone can do! As I have stated in many other posts on this subject. I think it totally unsafe and serves no purpose what's so ever.IMO[/b][/quote]
I think that is very good for the first rider in a group of snowmobiles to let oncomeing sleds know how many people are in their group. This way you know when you can giver a little more. If the lead guy signals you 4 guys and you only see 3 guys you know there will be one stragler and you will be watching for him. This is realy good in tight trail systems.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You see MXZ, it's the mentality of guy's like you that make hand signaling a farce. As you stated: [This way you know when you can giver a little more] The guy signaling how many are in the group or the last guy signaling he's last means NOTHING!!!! There could be another group behind them or soon to be. So your giving it to her could be just that, right into someone's loved one. Get the point?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In the Motorized Snow Vehicle handbook that I had as a kid the 3 signals were Stop, LH & RH turn. I signal that there are people behind me because the speed at which some riders approach you, they should be warned that there are sleds behind you in the snow dust.

I realize some people get carried away and/or have a hard enough time keeping their sled under control at the best of times.

What are you supposed to do if something gets on your shield? Pull over to the side? You've got to be kidding. A simple swipe across it with your glove shouldn't be illegal.

I'll agree with you on the sleds coming up from behind the last man in the group. I've had people signal that they are the last in a group, when in fact there are sleds a short distance behind them.  

Did something happen in Michigan that caused the government to bring it in? Does the same type of law apply to motorcycles on the road?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
revrnd,revrnd, there is no law about your hands leaving your handle bars, it was a joke!!!!

But IMO hand signals ARE!

Here we go again on the hand signals thing, dont kill me Corey

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Boy did  I ever fall for that one

Get out the fish hook.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (another MXZ @ July 31, 2002, 12:05pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey guys I have heard some people say that speed limits and stuff like that will be inforced soon around here (Manitoba,Canada).[/b][/quote]
"In addition, the legislation would create a new "imprudent driving" offence which would apply to all off-road vehicle operators. This offence would permit law enforcement officials to charge operators who drive too fast for the terrain conditions."

I picked this up from another site. Boy is that ever going to be up for debate. A cop that has never been on a snowmobile would probably ticket anyone going faster than a snail.

In Ontario we can use our own #s. There was quite a battle a few years ago about the use of custom numbers. As long as they are of a contrasting colour, meet a minimum height & stroke width, you're legal. We don't have to use boat numbers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts