Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've had so many trailer nightmares happen I don't know where to start.
There was the one time when we were towing 2 atv's down #7 just west of Madoc when the pin for the tilt came out :0: The trailer immediately popped up and we could barely keep the nissan Pathfinder within the 2 lane highway. The trailer was gouging the highway for a few hundred feet before we could stop it. We even had to go over a bridge. For some reason that day I put an excessive amount of hold down straps on thank god. We ended up walking back 1/2 a klik or so and found the pin. Put it back in with a retaining pin this time and off we went.

Same trailer another time, we were on our way to Lake scugog for some lake and river running with the Machs. Crazy B was looking out the window and saw the bearing buddy cap blow off but before he could even say it the whole wheel blew off and passed us on the highway. We pulled over rebuilt the bearing assembly and off went. I always keep a bearing rebuild kit on hand after the time in Mac Tier , but thats another story. I 'll post that one later.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
one of my favorite stories was when we came over the "big mac" on a sunday afternoon and saw a new motor home with a 4 new cats on the trailer.the trailer was up on the jack and the wheel bearing was shot.why do people think that things last forever without maintainence? :hallo2: :hallo10:

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by permafrost@Oct 14 2002, 11:29 AM
I 've had so many trailer nightmares happen I don't know where to start.
There was the one time when we were towing 2 atv's down #7 just west of Madoc when the pin for the tilt came out :0: The trailer immediately popped up and we could barely keep the nissan Pathfinder within the 2 lane highway. The trailer was gouging the highway for a few hundred feet before we could stop it. We even had to go over a bridge. For some reason that day I put an excessive amount of hold down straps on thank god. We ended up walking back 1/2 a klik or so and found the pin. Put it back in with a retaining pin this time and off we went.

Same trailer another time, we were on our way to Lake scugog for some lake and river running with the Machs. Crazy B was looking out the window and saw the bearing buddy cap blow off but before he could even say it the whole wheel blew off and passed us on the highway. We pulled over rebuilt the bearing assembly and off went. I always keep a bearing rebuild kit on hand after the time in Mac Tier , but thats another story. I 'll post that one later.
Hell, I would get rid of that trailer, it's bad luck. I was towing 2 sleds to Lovells, just outside of Grayling when I had a spring snap. I had to put one sled on a 3 place which put 4 sleds on one trailer, one being across the seats and one in back of a pick up. Same trailer a long long time ago I was in the back seat with my sister and bro of out then 77 LTD stationwagon on our way up north. While driving I 75 my sister says hey dad look at that donut. It was one of the tires passing us up. We had to put the spare on and steal 2 lug nuts from the opposite side to get back on the road.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a horror story for you. I'm custom building mine right now!!!! In fact I just ordered the rims and tires about 20 minutes ago. The axle and material are sitting in front of the garage....... Will be a nice trailer, 2 place with brakes, ramps, custom spray shield..... I don't have enough time or money for a fully enclosed one but either way I new my welding certifications would pay off. I'll have to post pictures when it's done. Won't be able to miss it, it's going to be painted bright yellow!!!

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I guess I have been lucky. With all the mild winters I have trailered everywhere without a problem..... well there is the time we went out with no spare tire and we did get a flat. We pulled that trailer at 10 mph on the rim untill we got down to the hub......then unloaded the sleds in the middle of nowhere, pitch black and rode around untill help arrived. So I wouldnt consider that a horror story but a learning curve........Make sure before you load up at the end of the day to have lots of fuel in the sled in case the trailer fails.

·
Registered
692 Posts
o boy

towing a two place going to island pond vt on 91 when i jumped lanes and the trailer started going left to right! i figure speed it up to pull it out of it! ya right i and trailer ended up in the middle of a 2 lane hgwyat 80 mph. trailer was rocking so bad tat the truck was rocking with it! the steering wheel was going left to right! for at least 1/4 mile !
when i got it under control people were backed up in two lanes i was sweeping up LOL! when people went by they had the holly sh1t look on ther face!!
the best part the wife thought i had it under control!! when i have never been so scared in my life!!!LOL i got off the next exit so we could get food!!
still got look s at buger king from people who saw the show!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not a snowmobiling trailer, but a trailer horror story none the less.

I had just graduated from college, my parents had come with the big pickup and a trailer to come get 5 years of accumulated crap. I am running late, and we are like 3 hours behind schedule. My mom and I have an argument about putting a tarp over it all... I give up and halfa$$ed tie the tarp on... about 10 miles out of town we stop and take the tarp of cuz it is blowing in the wind. Then we stop for gas, and she is still insistent on tarping it so she buys 200 feet of clothesline, and proceeds to use it all tying the tarp on... overkill to say the least. About 10 miles later, we hit a large bump and the trailer comes unhitched (dont ask about the safety chains !!! ) The trailer gets a mind of its own, moves into the opposing lane, and succeeds in passing us. after about 250 very tense yards, it goes into the opposite ditch, takes out a bank of mailboxes, and buries the tongue into a culvert. The resulting momentum shift causes the entire trailer to stand on its nose, then fall back to the wheels. The only thing that kept my 5 years of accumulated crap from spreading over 40 acres?? Yep, my mom's tarp job. My dad made me apologize for arguing, and thank her for doing such a good job tarping. He got a $100 ticket from the state troop that just happened to drive by as we were pulling it out of the ditch.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My horror story,
It started off as my fault as I broke my own cardinal rule and borrowed a trailer. Well off we went after loading up in Port Perry heading for Haliburton Forest and the only sledding short of going to the far north. Cruising along with the C&W just a howling when suddenly the trailer started go wildly from side to side, got er anchored down on the shoulder with no incident. Damm I got a flat or so I thought until pulling the rim off and finding half of it had separated. I guessed that I had driven for some distance before noticing the flat and thats what caused the rim destruction. No big deal on goes the spare and on off we go.
Just got settled back into the seat long enough to warm up when doesn't the damm trailer start swaying even worse than the first time. Thank goodness no one else was on the road as this things using up two lanes. Again got it over to the side without incident and have a look. Hasn't the tire on the opposite site gone flat now. OK so now I've got no spare and another flat. I'm still fairly calm figuring I can pull it off and with a little searching get it repaired. So off it comes only to find better than 3/4 of the rim has broken off plus when I look over at the side I put the spare on its going flat as the rim has now broken on that side as well.
We spent 2/3 of the day running all over hells half acre to find two wheels and tires. Needless to say that ended the days sledding.
It turns out the rims for these "fat boy tires" are very prone to salt accumulating along the weld where the two halfs are joined causing them to rot and eventually break.
Hard to beleive on a trailer that was only 18 months or so old.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems to me most trailer horror stories are usually caused by the ignorance of the user. Not pointing fingers but most people think you can just load up and take off. Not paying any mind to proper weight distribution, trailer maintenance, or safety precautions just to name a few.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would agree, but in my case I checked the air in both tires plus the spare, gave the bearing buddies a good snort of grease, had a look at the springs and shackles and checked the lights only to have nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Boy ZRSleadhead, I thought I was reading my own post there for a second. I have a pic in the Cat section under sled pics of our accident. I too borrowed someone else's trailer who told me it was all ready to go...
NOT!! We were about 2 hrs into our 10 hr drive home and my buddy's girlfriend had to take a leak...we normally only stop for gas. But for some reason we pulled into a gas station for her to do her duty, and on my usual walk around the trailer I saw grease splattered around one of the wheels and it smelled hot. I crawl under and the bearings were gone and the hub had already been grinding into the axle about 1/2 an inch. It was a Sunday in a small town, so our options were limited. Found a trailer dealer in the town, but he didn't have an axle and hub...but he did have a bunch of new trailers. We decided to buy a 3-place trailer if we were going to buy one, but he didn't have one in stock. Well, the plant was about 3 hrs on the other side of Wisconsin. He would give us a heck of a price, but we had to go pick the trailer up. SOOOOOO, we unhitched the old trailer and drove across the state, picked up the new trailer, drove back to the dealer, unloaded the sleds off the old trailer, flipped it upside down on the new trailer, put the sleds on top of that, and strapped it all down. A 10 hr trip turned into a 24 hr trip. Thank god my buddy's g-friend had to use the bathroom.
We patched the old trailer together and gave it back to the guy.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The year was 1989 and me and a buddy were heading back to minneapolis from U.P and just after the Wis, border it started to snow and got really cold. Next came the black ice and then one slide later and my Exciter and my buddys new 600 Indy were off the trailer around 50' from each other on both sides of the road in around 4' of snow. It was around 3 in the a.m. and we were cold and the hitch was broke. After about an hour and a little inivation we had the sleds loaded and were back on the road. All in all the trip was great and there was no damage to either sled.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i towed from sudbury home, when i got home got out of my truck and noticed a trailer tire and rim laying beside the truck. i thought what in you know where as it turned out it was the tire and rim off my trailer. WHEW ! lucky or what ? :nervous:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just for the record, I have never had an accident w/my own trailer....knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I gotta dig back to my trucking days for my worst trailer incident. I'm pulling a set of "Rocky Mountain Doubles" (one 48 foot trailer with a 27 foot trailer being pulled behind it). Everything is nice and easy as it's a weekend haul where I have no set time to get back to Denver from Salt Lake City, UT. I'm about Rawlins, WY when I notice that the drivers side of the trailer looks "odd." I pull off the highway to find that I've lost a complete set of duals!!! My brake drum is all that's left just hanging there. Of four tires on that one axle, I had only ONE left with air in it. :0:

I have no idea when or where that set of wheels came off as it was the typical Wyoming pitch black night, nor was there ever any reaction from the combination when they came off. I can only hope that nobody was hurt by those wheels when they decided that they no longer needed to occupy their required placement. :(

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
after reading these stories im glad i dont have to trailer to go riding :p just drive right out of the yard

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We used to ride from the house and sometimes we still doo, but mostly we trailer up to you Panteraone where the best snowmobiling is :hallo3:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine's rather minor compared to everyone else's, but it still sucked.

Most of you may know where the interstate north of Wausau goes from four lanes to two. Well, that's where the "tone" changed in the driving sound and I picked up a vibration. I attributed it to the difference in payment, slowed down, and it went away. A couple miles later, I sped back up to around 70 mph and the vibration returned and I saw the trailer bouncing up and down. Again, I slowed and it disappeared. No problem, I'll just keep her under 60. I finally pulled into a gas station in Minocqua to do my ususal trailer walk-around (like Mr. Fritch) and noticed that the left side sled on the outside is completely covered with slush, dirt and ice. After closer inspection, I'm amazed to see a huge hole in my trailer deck. Gazing through the splintered mess of plywood, I see the entire half side of tread gone on my tire.

Now the vibration at high speed starts to make sense. When the tire threw its tread, it became like shrapnel and disintegrated my threated 3/4 inch plywood and replaced it with a one square foot hole. Fortunately, I had a spare. Unfortuately, it was -15 degrees F. Then, there's no worse feeling in the world than using your spare and having another 100 miles to go.

Jon

P.S. No wonder there were no cars behind me for so long.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i dont have a trailer for the sleds yet the trucks work fine for me so maybe next year ll have a story... i did get a flat on the boat trailer once no biggy though

1 - 20 of 72 Posts