Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a steel 4 place tandem axel V nose trailer.  I have built a 2 place and plans were real easy to come up with for that one.  I looked around a little bit on the internet and haven't found any so far.  Has anyone built one or knows were you can get some plans.  If nothing else I'm going to find one to measure.  Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Make your own! There's nothing to it man. Most all 4 to 8 place trailers have two large beams running the lenght of the trailermthat the deck sits on. The axle's mount to the large beams. I would buyon epersonally. I was going to build but around here you can but them new for $1600 w/double electric brakes. The axles that you'll need are around $300+ each. And they are a must if you want true safety!! Lights are another $100-150, steel will be $200-400 depending on your connections and the type. Then trow in paint and,mats, carbide guides and you'll have plenty wrapped up into it. Don't do this unless you do it right. You wouldn't put a child in a half-arse car seat so don't put your baby and your freinds on a half-arse trailer. There are great deals around. I had a dealer try to sell me a 6 place Aluminum trailer for $2,400 last year.It had everything, to big for thr previose owner. I can give you the low down on where to find trailers just let me know.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.  Thats why I was looking for plans to see exactly what I need and figure out cost before hand.  I know what you mean about not going half way.  I have seen some trailers on the road that I wouldn't trust my firewood on let alone 4 $5000 sleds.  We have built a 2 place which was really easy and we have also extended two semis for grain trucks here on the farm so I'm plenty qualified to make it just a matter of wether its worth it.  I haven't seen many used 4 place around here otherwise I would probably go that way.  Do you know what a new one usually goes for.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ZR500,
     I readmost of the rvtrader mag's and Goldstar trailer's usually has the best deal on steel four place trailers. They sell for around $1600+6%tax. I can look around for you tomorrow. I'll check for used ones also. Would you be interested in a 6 place as i know people seem to deal on them ALOT more. I also know a place that builds them aound 1600 or 1800 and they do a great job. You'd have to driver to pick it up but though. Wehere are you located again? I'll look around.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the problem i'm in North Dakota.  It would cost me to much to drive to pick it up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm building a trailer right now it'going to be a 4 place v nose thats inclosed I paid $500 for the axels (3000lbs) thats with elec break on the back axel and 20.5 x 10 inch whells and all the hanging hard wear.Right now i have $1200.  in to it and all i need to do is get the lights and the D rings to tie the sleds down. One tip that i got off the race car trailer is to get some older style head ligts off a pickup truck and wire them in to the running lights that way if you load at night or need extra light you have it. Just turn on the head lights then you can use a toggel switch to turn the lights on in the trailer.Thats if you whant it enclosed.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Put the electric brake on the front axel not the back. By Michigan law here we have to have electric brakes on both axels. But you need it on the front axel if on any of them.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SKI-DOO-U-2  are you making the plans for it yourself or did you get them from somewhere.  I would really like an inclosed just didn't really think of building one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I came up with the plains my self . the place that i got the axels at said to put  the elec breac on the back axel  because of the axel placement and the weight of the trailer with the sled in it. I just whent to a trailer place and took some sizes and whent from their

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
when one builds a trailer for himself he tends to over build and then that creates another problem that i have seen, the person hates the trailer because it is too hard to pull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is the trailer I just got finshed bulding myself. It's all alum. but the axle. The ramp is underneth the deck to be used for  drive on or drive off, 2  built in toolboxes for the covers & stuff. The ski guides are an old box liner cut into strips c/w a rock guard at the front. Can't wait to use it !

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ultrasaurus nice looking trailer.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I would like to order one... make me a 12 footer...LOL i think you found a good business opportunity

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Excellent looking trailer!  How much did it cost you to make?  That looks better than most trailers commercially made!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
while we're on the subject-does any one know anything about doing a home-made cover for a 12 foot trailer?i'm like powderboy-these pantera's are way long.thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I work for a fabarication shop we can build almost anything from metal. I also made the tunnel , chromoly susp. for my Ultra .If I sold the trailer it we be about $8000.00 cnd.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Very nice work there.

If we all order one, can we get a volume discount?

FishHog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts