Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to buy a new trailer this fall and i've been checking out all the different company web sites that i can find. I noticed that most offer a choice of either leaf springs or torsion bars. Was wondering if there is enough of a difference in how they tow and what advantages one has over the other.
I don't intend or need to trailer very far, at the most i'd be going to tug hill and that's only and hour and a half away if the cops are out. (no speeding).  Also aluminum or steel, i have a place i can get a 2place 10ft steel trailer for $725. Same size trailer in alum is $825. i'm thinking that it would probably be worth the extra 100 for the alum, but would like some opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Indy,
    You and I are in the same boat. I too am thinking of buying a new trailer and have the same questions. So far this is what I have heard but I am not sure about any of this so all opinions are welcome. As far as axels go,I have met a lot of guys who have the torsion axels and they say that they have had no problems. The problem with springs is that they rust and need to be sprayed with some fresh water every now and then to keep the salt off. If the springs are rinsed like they should be then they supposedly last just as long as axels. My thinking is if this is true then why not get the torsion axels supposedly they don't rust like the springs do but they last just as long without the maintainance. As far as aluminum goes I am under the impression that its the direction the industry has chosen. Steel is much heavier and aluminum doesn't rust. I am still unsure but that is what I have been told so far. Right now I am leaning towards the Tritons but you have come across some good prices...what manunfacturer has an aluminum for 825?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SRX, I was going through the local want ad Digest and there was an ad from  a trailer dealer and it had their web sit on it. So i checked it out and they are listing Karavan trailers , they have a steel model (ks-2100-10) for 725, Alum ( ultra-10s) has leaf spring for 825. and a model(Ultra-10wb) torsion bar for 899. These prices were for just the trailer, salt shield  and other things are extra. I'm going to call them to day to see if these prices are still good, sometimes people don't keep their web site up to date.  I figured that  the 10s with shield and jack would run me about $1000 dollars. I like bargin so i'm still going to call every dealer i can find with in a couple hours of here , i hate to pay to much.lol.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hey guys,
  Get Aluminum with torsion axels. But check out ALL of the welds as that is where cracks start with aluminum. And get a good quality mfr nort a off brand as it will cost you more in the long run. A rinse will help both steel and alum last longer. Another place to watch on alum is where the axel meets the trailer. Usuall the axel is steel and corrosion starts where they meet. And most definetly get a spare tire and stuff needed to changea tire. I can't believe all of the people I've seen on the side of the road with flats and no spare/tools.  Also get bearing buddies and keep those tires inflated.. I hope that this helps you. Personally I'd spend about 950 and get a Triton. Low balll a dealer and you can get one for around 925-950 as a friend sells them here in SE MIchigan.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Torsion systems used to be notorious for cupping tires with very low milage. Noticable wear with less than 2000 miles. Maybe they've changed, I don't know, but the problem would be worth asking about. Call me old fashioned if you will, but I'd go for the leaves...

AL

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have an aluminum, leaf springs I think.  Two things I have to add.  One is that I had a recall on mine for the U bolts that connected the spings/axle assembly to the deck.  The original were untreated steel and the risk of failure to corrosion caused the recall.  Aluminum won't rust, but it will pit if neglected.  So think of that.  Also, damage to the trailer is another concern.  One, aluminum will bend/kink easier than steel if you hit something with it, and if that happens it is more difficult/costly to fix.  Overall my opinion the aluminum with leaf springs is just fine.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I prefer allum, no painting it every year.I like the torsion axles as well,not as much noise.tire wear is not really an issue for the 2 place.I would also buy a triton trailer they use dexter axles on theirs and they seem to be the best around.I bought my 2 place for 875 (U.S.) with a spare,got rearended got 900 and kept the trailer and sold it for 350 to a friend which still uses it today.I now have steel 4 place enclosed and it also has torsion axles(dexter) with over 3500 miles on it and no tire wear problems wish it was allum for the painting maint. reasons.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have an aluminum trailer with a single torsion axle with 18.5 tires with over 10,000 miles on it in two seasons and I have had zero problems. Mine has "riflebored" spindles with a grease fitting in the end, and I give it one squirt every trip, I also make sure I keep the tires inflated properly, with too much air the middle wears quick and it bounces more, too little air and the tires will overheat and blow out. The torsion axle itself is zero maintenance whereas leaf springs tha pit are suceptible to breakage, and the shackle hole will oblong and wear out over time, which is a cheap fix, but the rusty bolts can be a real pain. I am completely satisfied with my torsion axle, and more and more trailers are going to it because they work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feed back guys. talked to a karavan triler dealer today and he can gave me a price of 799 for a 2 place 10ft aluminum trailer  without a salt shield with 925. Same size trailer in steel was 699 and another125 for shield.These are leaf spring trailers, the torsion model was about 75 more and only avaliable in alum.
 10 or 12 years ago i had a karavan in galvanized steel and really liked it  , but even back then i paid more for it than what they want now. I never really found it all that hard to maintain  just  run it through the car wash once in awhile to clean the salt off.  If i was forced to chose right now i'd probably go with the steel, just for the fact that i'm not going to have to use a trailer every time i want to go for a ride.If we get a decent winter i can ride for my drive way and if we don't  there will be snow just a few minutes north of my house.  Thanks a gain for the feed back.

·
Registered
404 Posts
dooman, how much did you have to give for the 4 place steel enclosed, I just bought a 02 4 place all aluminum enclosed, the 20SF (Snofire) from R&R, I gave $4750 which I think is pretty good, but prices are usually better in the off season.  Just curious on pricing and what model you got.

For anyone interested I'm going to be selling a Karavan 2 place steel (galv) with salt shield, runner guides, spare.  it's an 8x8 which I've hauled a new 02 ZR and a 97 Thundercat on with no problems.  I'll probably post this in classifieds in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Indy,
I have owned several trailers over the past 7 or 8 years and by far an aluminum trailer will out last a steel one. They will oxidize which will not hurt the trailer, it just takes the shine off. Salt will destory your steel trailer in just a few years, the wheels that came with my new trailer last fall were steel and after just one Michigan Winter they were starting to show rust. I have since changed them out for polished aluminum wheels.
I have owned two place and now own a 4 place inline and never had any problem with a rubber torsion axle. The aluminum will also hold it's resale value if you ever want to trade for a larger or enclosed trailer.
I would also suggest that you check out the Renegade line by Rance Aluminum www.rancealuminum.co they were great to work with and they allowed us to custom design or current trailer.
Paul

·
4,440 Posts
I gave $3,300 for it new,out the door. it is an '00 model. I bought it in feb. of '00.I like haulmark trailers,have owned several for racing.the easy greese axles are on it as well.flat nose model which is ok but I would say the v-nose is better for unloading but the $1,300-2,000 diff. in price swayed me.

·
4,440 Posts
another shot with my son and the sleds in gould city mich.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
IndyWild,
  Becks Propane&trailers/Marine here in Michigan  is selling new Karavan 10' aluminum trailers for $699.
Caleb

·
4,440 Posts
I bought this trailer from Becks.they are  a big volume dealer so deals can be made.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i know that i started this thread a while ago but i thought i'd up date it today.  Just bought a new trailer, I was almost ready to buy a steel karavan with leaf springs could have gotten it for 800 with the salt shield ,but just wasn't sure about steel. So i went to the next dealer down the road who sells tritons he also sells northern lite trailers never heard of them but next to a triton they are hard to tell apart until you look at the price tag >Ended up with the Northern lite 101 X 10 with salt shield and spare tire 1100 dollars. it's aluminum and has the torision axels (dexter). Think i'm going to like it. Like i said couldn't see much of a difference  other than 500 in price.  Just hope it snows so i have a reason to use it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Indy,
   I came to the same conclusions and just bought a Triton LT (10 foot) its the middle grade open trailer from Triton. I payed 1200 which didn't seem to bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts