Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should to do to my sled for trailiering without a cover?  I have seen some really ugly looking sleds at the trails head that trailered without a cover!  

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If you have, or get a salt shield for the front of the trailer, that helps ALLOT!  Probably your best bet if you don't want to cover them...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not trying to sound like a jerk but i just dont understand how people can fork out 10 grand for a sled..hundreds or so on a trailer and god knows how much on a tow vehicle and yet trailer a sled with no cover....i dont get it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See the problem is I don't have a cover for my sled.  Also I don't own a trailer so we are using someones elses and it doesn't have a salt shield.  Believe me, if I could find one with a salt guard I would take that one!  Also, if you know where I can find a cover for my 97 MXZ 670 I would probably buy it.   Sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you cant afford a cover for your $7000.00 sled then you need to sell it! This goes for everyone that wont cover their sled. Once the salt gets in the engine compartment, you couldn't give it to me

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
dooski,
 you must have some sort of a tarp to wrap around that sled, here i can go to home hardware or canadian tire similar to your mijeirs {spelled right ?} store for one of those polytarps and get one that will cover the sled for $12.00. i would get on large enough now not way too big but still so that i could put the tarp under the sled then wrap the tarp over it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You should be able to order a cover from the dealer or Dennis Kirk.

I've seen the motors on some sleds YECCH. Obviously some people have no pride of ownership.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Dooski: have pride in your ride! Put a sheet on it and a cheap tarp on it at least. My cover is old and the straps broke off so Permafroast sewed loops on from an old backpack and i bungee it on. Will have to buy a new cover next year.  

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You guys must have allot better covers than what I use, because every time I cover mine while trailering it shreds to pieces.  That is with tenis balls on the handlebars and tightened down, and STILL shreds to pieces after a few trips.  Granted that is with Cat covers, and they seem to be a little crappier than the others too.  
Finaly I got sick of it and got a salt shield and leave it uncovered and that works great.  Then just hose it off and she's good to go.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The two covers I've had for the last 3 sleds were just canvas covers from Ski-doo. They are made by Commercial Sewing. I used one for six years on my 95 MXZ 440 and my 98 MXZ 500.

No rips or tears with them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My cover also has not ripped, tore or shredded.  You might as well spend a couple extra bucks and protect your investment.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i have a sled bed with a salt shield.   the salt shield should be 1-2 feet taller then it would be great,   the covers i have used have always scuffed the heck out of my sleds on long trips.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The cover I bought when I got my '01 has a softer white material underneath the front portion of the cover when it would go over the hood. A friend of mine has an undercover that he throws over the hood & windshield before he puts on the canvas cover. Next time I'm talking to him, I'll ask him where he got it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys don't get me wrong, I have a  lot of pride of my ride.  That is why I started the topic in the first place, to see what I could find out about what you guys do and if anyone knows where I can find a cover.  I baby everything I own and I'm not about to destroy my sled by not covering it with something!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts