Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you trailer your sled with a full tank or wait until you get to where you're riding? I don't see a fuel shutoff of any kind on mine.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I heard its better to trailer with a full tank if you have an electronic fuel gauge becasue the sensor isnt moving.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Fill it as gas is probably cheaper at home than in the north.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Mxz, I trailer mine w/as little fuel as possible. The fuel pumps on some of the newer sleds have internal automatic shut-offs...that is the case w/my ZR.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
When I trailer some were my sled is full and ready to go, take it off the trailer and go, no wasted time the days are short enough as it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wizzels; In the old days some of the sleds would drain the fuel tank into the engine case and that was a real pain in the ### to fix when you got there and were ready to ride.
The worst was the Yamaha Exciter, about doing this and second was any type of Ski-doo but they did it mostly while on a downhill slope.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I found that if I filled my sled then trailer, that gas seems to come out through the over flow tube. Even leaving it down abit in the tank, it still seems to weep out. I still fill it on the way to our parking spots... just leaves a nice puddle of gas on the trailer... sort of a pain!
On older sleds, ones without reed valves, the carbs drained which use to flood the engine while trailering, making it an adventure when you are trying to start your sled. My old 94 ZR580 did that a lot. I use to shut the gas off at every lunch stop just to make sure I wasn't the one changing plugs from a flooded engine!
:doh:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

I generally fill it up too but had a shut off on my old one. Hate to waste time when you get there looking for gas when you could be riding.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've always filled mine up, I take a couple extra 5-gallon cans with me with cheap gas because I don't like paying $.20 more a gallon when I can just lug it up there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
when we go to the tug...i get them running, turn the fuel valve off, and let them run for a min to run them down a bit..not completely out..otherwise its a pain to get restarted when u get there(learned that the hard way).. like someone else mention there is the possibilty of fuel leakin into the crank, and thats just not fun...only takes like a min to do, basicallly guarantees no fuel leakage....-INDY :thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your '02 MXZ should have an auto shut off. My '99 does.

I top the tank when we get close.

Why would gas leak into the crankcase? Needle Valves bad?

·
Registered
355 Posts
well we had a bad float on one of the carbs...dont knwo if that was the cause of it...but havent had any trouble since replacing it...just do it to be safe.....-INDY

·
Registered
745 Posts
I will fill up just before I get to my destination, I like to run with fresh gas as much as possible. When we usually end our ride we are empty anyways. I was thinking of the Fitch fuel catalyst, which is supposed to help keep the fuel fresh(SnowtechDecember2002).

FZ700

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
if it is going to be a short couple hour drive then when i fill the truck same for the sleds. if it is going to be a multi tank drive then when i feel it is going to be the last fill in the truck before my destination i then fill the sleds.

what are we talking about trailers for, the trailers are going to be frozen to the ground around here this season we won't need them. it is going to snow and freeze the devils lair over. :nervous:

·
Registered
387 Posts
late model Doos have an auto shut-off system like most motorcycles

so fill'em when ever is better for you and forget about it!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I fill up at the destination. Save on any kind of weight when traveling. Gas is 7 pounds per gallon. So with 2 - 6 gal cans plus what ever 2001 800 mxz tank and 2001 500 tank holds. Its additional weight. I am not driving a truck with a V8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts