Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my best buddies brother n law moved into this farmhouse at the end of a long dirt road, one of the barns halfway back had 3 old snowmobiles sitting in it, after asking around we found out the owner and he said to take em off his hands. My buddy and his brother n law picked up a 79 and 78 polaris tx440, leaving me with the john deere, mostly because the pullstart was missing and there was a few other parts in the storage bin. none of us know anything about snowmobiles but i am expirienced with simalr two strokes in pwc's (summer is longer than winter here). after a carb cleaning out and tank cleaning it fired right up ( playing the game where u wrap the string up by hand and pull) I greased up the clutches and determined that piece in the storage bin was an idler wheel, it had catastrophic bearing faiure so i ordered new ones for both sides and got them on. paid a little attention to the cracks in the hood and gave it a sexy fresh coat of paint. we had an inch of snow here on the shore last wensday (im away at school in salisbury where it barely ever snows, because our house here has a garage and i have more free time to work on it i brought her up here) so i took it out on the good ol' 10th an acre yard for a test run. she ran almost from the garage to the fence then bogged down and cut out. wouldnt move or rev very high again. plugs were wet and secondary cluth was stock in partially open position, i greased up the secondary clutch and worked it free and discovered that when i removed the starting system from the carb ( it was stripped out where the cable goes in)and replaced it with a primer kit it was flooding because the plunger wasnt there anymore, so i crimped the tube that sucks fuel from the float bowl and jb welded the starting air passway, reassembled and fired up the next day when there was luckily enough snow left for a test run still. SHE RAN MEAN. just barely tapping the gas and i was already almost across the yard before i could let off. cant wait to get back home and ride her on some real land. check out these pics. also as i dont know much about snowmobiles anyone have any insight or opinions about these machines? how fast will it top out at? i know the tx's had dual carbs am i going to get my butt whooped? also the belt does have about a 3 inch tear in it on one spot, i dont have the money to replace it this year will it hold up for this season? ( if it snows two or 3 times where i live thats a good season) or anyone know where i could find a decent shape used belt for it for cheap? any comments would be great thanks guys!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
clutches= dirt and grease free :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts