Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folk I just bent my trailing arm on my 2002 600 SC SP.  My right ski hit about a 5 inch rock on the outer edge and jolted my right arm back.  I stopped the sled to inspect it and the right arm was bent in half in the middle.  I was only going 30 mph so this concerns me.  When I took my sled to the dealer he said he had 3 2002 XC's with the same problem.  Is it possible that Polaris is producing trailing arms with defects this year.  I can't believe the amount of damage done for the small impact.  The other problem is that the ryde FX shock arms are bending when the trailing arm bends.  Polaris is telling my dealer that there are no FX shocks to be had.  I need to know if anybody else with a 2002 Polaris is experiencing trailing arm problems.  Secondly I would like to know where I can get 2 new Ryde FX shocks.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Brother I know the drill....... same thing happened to me.
I just repaced the trailing arm. I wasn't impressed to say the least. I hit a vent pipe just barely movong and the thing buckled. Luckily I was going so slow that the shocks were not damaged. My dealer told me that they are designed to take the impact so the rest of the machine doesn't get damaged.
That all makes for a good story.
Aftermarket arms will be out soon so my suggestion is to stock up on 'em because it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
All I can say is be happy that is all you bent if you bend the the trailing are mount the part up buy the belly pan close to your feet you would be looking for a new tunnel bulkhead assembly as this part is not replacable and Polaris doesnot have a sevicable part number for it. This why the trailing arms are designed to take the impact by bending this is to save the chassis of the sled. If you don't want to bend trailing arms you will have to weld some reinfocement to the trailing arm do this where the weld is up by the sway bar slide hole on the inside of the trailing arm then get it repainted and put on your decals but remember a real good impact will damage the trailing arm mount and you can not replace it or straighten it as it is aluminum and it will brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I BOUGHT A 2002 800 RMK IN AUGUST AND RECIEVED AN EXTENSIVE RECALL IN DECEMBER WHICH INCLUDED,AMONG OTHER THINGS,TRAILING ARMS AND RYDE FX SHOCKS. I WAS LEAVING ON MY FIRST TRIP OF THE YEAR ON THE DAY I RECIEVED THE NOTICE ,SO I CALLED AND ASKED IF IT WOULD SAFE TO USE FOR A WEEK BEFORE I BROUGHT IT IN AND HE ADVISED ME NOT TO BECAUSE IT WAS UNSAFE.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The trailing arm is suppose to buckle when you hit something, it saves the mounting stud as snorat says. A 30 mph impact seems fast enough that it would buckle. I've done the same thing and it sucks to put out the dough but it's cheaper than the bulkhead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geoblitz1
Do you know if this recall pertains to 2002 XC SP machines?  I have also heard there is a recall for rattling sway bars on 2002 machines.  I am very curious if these recall affect my 2002 600 SC SP since I have bent a trailing arm and have constant rattling from my sway bars.  Any one who has news on these recalls please submit a post.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Last season I bent my trailing arm.  I didn't notice anything.  I bent the arm, busted the spring off, broke the shock off and cracked the bulkhead!  I repeat, I DIDN'T NOTICE ANYTHING!  

·
Registered
372 Posts
My bud  did the same thing with a mxz.  bent trailing arm  & shock shaft.   Turns out frame buckled in a smidge and sled got totaled!  Got sled back for next to nothing + insurance $$ and has a new $200 99 MXZ 600 with a new trailing arm and slightly kinked running board!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts