Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into purchasing an enclosed trailor to pull my car (99 trans am) during the summer and my sleds durring the winter.  Local guy has a 2002 28X8.5 car trailor for sale. Here are my questions.

Will 6 sleds fit on it?

The trailor weighs 3,200lbs, 4 tires all with brakes, add 6 sleds, 6,400 total weight.  How will a 2002 Dodge Quad Cab 1500 do pulling this in the winter?  Towing capcity is about 8,000lbs.  I just don't know how it will pull in the snow?  Most trips will be 5-10 miles but will probably make 3-4 300 mile trips during the winter.  

Thanks for any advice!

Dan

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Most sleds are about 48" at the outsides of the skis, so two will fit side-by-side in the 8.5ft wide trailer.  Sleds are usually just under 9ft long ski tip to tail, so three will fit in a row in 28ft.  As long as not all of them are 151"s with widening kits, 6 sleds should fit just fine.  I think even if all 6 are 136s, maybe 144s, they should fit bumper to snowflap with the skis straddling the track of the sled in front.
As far as towing, you're only planning on pulling 80% of capacity, so there should be no trouble.  If you have problems in the snow, get better tires and/or adjust your driving style.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
i'm in the trucking business and we have a trailer like that.what i would suggest is getting full logistics inside the trailer-then you can stack them above each other.you'll need load bars to span the trailer-then build the deck out of plywood for as long as you need it.you'll have to buy the logistic bars-$20 each or so-then the whole thing is removable when you want to use it for the car.also-be real sure to get the torsion bars with the hitch-it'll keep it from swaying and make it pull much better.gotta have those!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dan,
I envy you having a 99 trans am.  Is it a WS6 or Firehawk? My dream car is a 96-02 trans am WS6.  The down side to a car trailor to haul sleds is they have to come out the back door.  As far a Dodge Ram goes, well you would be better off in a GM truck  
.  By the way I currently have a 89 trans am with 36,000 original miles.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You're looking for opinions right? I don't think your going to like
the package you're thinking about at all for winter use...

The truck needs to be 4 wheel drive for use in northern MI winters, even if you stay in the lower,  and especially if you are thinking about a trailer the size of the one you mention. You won't have much of a chance getting out of the motel parking lot after one of the snowbelt areas unexpected 12 inch snowfalls, even I-75 hills could present problems... Planning on dry pavement would be unrealistic.

As mentioned in an earlier post, dragging a sled out the back of the trailer, especially the front ones, will quickly become a nightmare. Sleds are heavy, even with 2 or 3 guys helping out, carbides only add to the problem.

Truck/trailer/car combo shouldn't have any problems. Weight distributing hitch a must in my book, when trailer is loaded anyway.

My 2c
AL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all your comments!

Al, I should of mentioned I planned on getting a 2002 Dodge 4x4.

For loading and unloading the sleds on the trailor I planned on getting a dolly.  I would think that would be best way to load and unload.  Any other suggestions? http://www.denniskirk.com/powerve....o=28517

Hey a trans am Fan
 I have so much fun with this car.  I drive it daily, but feel much safer having a trailor for longer trips.  I just added Stage II heads, cam, headers, Intake, complete suspension.  Last time at the track I ran 11.60 @ 118mph.  On Nitrous it should go 10.50's oh and I still get 25 mpg

Dan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Make the truck a 2500 series and all will be good.  You are really getting heavy for a half ton.  I think your estimate may be a little light. Sleds full of fluids weigh at least 600 lbs.  That means at least 3600lbs without snow and ice in the tracks.  Plus 3200 for the trailer, not covered with 400 lbs of snow and ice is minimum weight of 6800lbs.  Now add a couple jerry cans for 100lbs, say 500lbs of snow and ice on everything plus.  Then add suits, helmets groceries and say 4 adults to your truck and you are easily hauling around 8000lbs between the truck and trailer.  That half ton will be bagged right out and will not be enjoyable to drive, it will be a handfull.  If you can afford it go with a 3/4 ton Cummins.  You won't be disappointed with the economy, power or handling.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

Yeah, like he said.

Hey, its only money.  We make it every day.  Luckily, we can make some more tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yeah, I make money, too.  Well, actually, I don't make it, I just pick it.  You see, money just grows on trees right here, and all I have to do is harvest it.  This is what my wife thinks, anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS ABOUT CAR TRAILERS FOR SLEDS
1. IT PROBABLY HAS WHEEL WELLS INSIDE ABOVE THE FLOOR AND DEPENDING WHERE THEY ARE YOU WON'T GET 2 SLEDS SIDE BY SIDE UNLESS YOU STAGGER THEM OR OUT 1 IN FRONTWARDS AND 1 BACKWARDS AND I AM NOT SURE IF EVEN THAT WILL WORK.
2. DOLLIES WORK IF EVERYTHING IS NEAR LEVEL BUT CAN BE DIFFICULT OTHERWISE.
3. USUALLY CAR TRAILER FRAMES ARE A LOT LOWER AND IF YOU GET IN DEEP SNOW IT WILL BOG YOU DOWN QUICKLY. CARRY TIRE CHAINS FOR THE TRUCK.
4.SOME SNOWMOBILE TRAILERS HAVE THEIR WHEELS CLOSE TO THE SAME TRACK WIDTH AS MOST TRUCKS SO THEY PULL THROUGH THE SNOW IN THE TRUCKS TRACKS. CAR TRAILERS WHEELS ARE AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE.
5. GOTTA HAVE 4 WHEEL DRIVE I TRIED TOWING IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE AND JUST A LITTLE SNOW CAN BE TROUBLE.
6. 1/2 TON WILL PULL IT BUT SUSPENSION AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BRAKES ARE ON THE EDGE EVEN WITH GOOD TRAILER BRAKES.
7. HITCH WEIGHT EQUALIZING BARS ARE A MUST SO YOU HAVE ADEQUATE STEERING CONTROL.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
308 Posts
These guys have just about everything covered.  My touring sled is 11'1" long  that is the same length as some of the long tracks.   so you will have to know the length of thesleds you are going to haul to get 6 in. or do the logistics thing and put two on top.  
The other thing is with towing you can't go wrong with horsepower for towing.  It seems you have more horsepower in the transam.   he he    
  I mention that only because you were considering another truck. so you can spec it with as much power possible.  enclosed trailers drag hard when traveling into a headwind.    good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Okay here is one for you,  I have a '98 dakota sport truck with a 3.9l v6.  My thoughts are to buy a 108"x10ft trailer.  Here are my questions;

1. How will my truck do with the trailer and 2 sleds?
2. What about if I stuff 3 sleds on the trailer?
3. Can I use the stock bumper and add a ball to it and be okay with the tongue height of the trailer?
4. How difficult is it going to be to hook-up wiring?

My objective is to definitely buy this trailer and put the least amount of work towards buying extra crap to hook it up correctly.  I dont want to have to buy a reese hitch or anything, nor get all messy with the wires.   Can someone give me some directions or experience refers.  Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Dodgev6's will be working hard with that load but will pull it. You can buy a plug in wireing harness so no hassel there. I wouldn't ever consider a bumper pull on a stock bumper. I've seen them twist to many times. You can buy a used reese tyle from a salvage yard cheap I bet. Why spend all of your money on a trailer and your sleds then be to cheap or lazy(no offence)to buy the proper, safe hitch.
Caleb

A

·
0 Posts
Totalover, where are you located?  If you're in the US I can get you the hitch and harness for distributor cost.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well im in south bend Indiana.  Im thinking about heading up to nelson's sno motion near grand rapids MI on Aug 24.  Maybe I will look for a used one there.  That is a good point i guess about the bumper twisting, because i would be pissed if i lost my trailer and sled due to a sh*ty bumper.  I guess one of the big worries is if that little v6 will do the job.  I really dont have any other opinions at this point so I guess i will just have to see.  My truck already has 100k miles on it, but i do keep it in very good condition and just had a total overhaul about 10k ago.  I guess we will see.  

But do you think throwing on a ball to the OEM bumper and doing the quick wiring will be sufficient to pull the empty trailer home?  It will be about a two hour drive.  But the trailer wont have anything on it.  Let me know, thanks guys

A

·
0 Posts
If the trailer is empty it will do fine.  I towed two sleds on an open trailer up to the UP with a 91 Ranger with a 4 cylinder.  I had a hitch on it though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the new v6 engines have fairly good power. I have a 01 Ranger Edge with a 4.0L(210 hp) and I can pull my 10'x12' trail with 2 sleds and salt sheild with no problem. I can even put it into over drive after I get up to speed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks guys,   here is another one for you.  The new trailer im gonna buy has no salt sheild on it, do you have any ideas or places i can buy one?  Or possible design to make one?   I think it is important because i know what salt can do to your sled and the ones im trailer are fairly new and the other is an '03.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There was a big discussion about homemade trailers/salt shields not too long ago.   Good pictures and descriptions.  Look around a bit.  I think it was in General forum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts