Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to use tranny fluid in the chaincase? I have it in my head that this is ok, but not sure if it's just a rambling thought or factual. OK to mix Amsoil with tranny fluid?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is it ok to use tranny fluid in the chaincase? I have it in my head that this is ok, but not sure if it's just a rambling thought or factual. OK to mix Amsoil with tranny fluid?[/b]

never used tranny fluid but id assume it would be ok. ive always used 80 90 if i didnt have any chaincase oil on hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trans fluid is like hydraulic fluid when it gets hot its like water and 80/90 is way to think at 20 deg 80/90 should be called 80/190. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 20/50 a friend of mine uses Klotz chain case oil which i will be going to soon after seeing it. To put it this way find a oil that got a good cling and sling properties. AFT got good sling but no cling and 80/90 good cling no sling until it gets about 80 deg in side the case.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i use syn. trans. fluid they run in big rigs. as far as regular trans, fluid it would work i guess. as long as it stays in the case. i know a pipeline mechanic that runs it in his welder engine. no problems in 10 yrs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it ok to use tranny fluid in the chaincase? I have it in my head that this is ok, but not sure if it's just a rambling thought or factual. OK to mix Amsoil with tranny fluid?[/b]

ATF does the job somewhat but is not ideal for this purpose, manual transmision fluid would be better, the best is 20/50 if it is really cold or 80/90 if it is a normal -10°C. I run 80/90 in my sleds for over 20 years now and never had any problems even in -30°C. The problem with ATF is that it does not cling to your gears, it is made to compress like hydraulic fluid. In a chaincase you need something that clings to your gears the best it can, because only the bottom gear is bathing in it you want the chain to bring it up to the top gear that is where ATF lacks for a sled application.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Auto company run atf in 4wd tranfer case chains which look just like snowmobile chain except much bigger. However I run full syn 5/40 in mine..G

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I know some that do use atf without a hitch. I do not. any guess' as to what I use :rolleyes: ? Jim I am just a short drive north for amsoil, and its in stock.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I know some that do use atf without a hitch. I do not. any guess' as to what I use :rolleyes: ? Jim I am just a short drive north for amsoil, and its in stock.[/b]
umm ..I know someone that runs diesel in the their oil.... :whistling: :lmao: .Hay thanks for the fogging oil from the ride raffle.

I run spectro (the red stuff) and a oz or 2 of lucas

mutt

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
umm ..I know someone that runs diesel in the their oil.... :whistling: :lmao: .Hay thanks for the fogging oil from the ride raffle.
I run spectro (the red stuff) and a oz or 2 of lucas

mutt[/b]
good thing diesel has some lubricating propertys , thing ran/runs fine even after 120+ miles driving like that :dazed: .

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,Jim,Jim . what is your aversion to just using chain case oil hmmmm ? lol Mark[/b]
LOL....put my chaincase back together and thought my bottle of Amsoil was full, turns out I had already used about half of the bottle :cussing:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have Golden Spectro in mine but.......My Ford F150 takes ATF in the transfer case(which is a chaincase) now that you mention it and I'm not seeing a difference. I guess in a pinch it is a chaincase like the Xfer case in the truck. My neighbors little Yammi ET 300 says on the sticker inside the hood to fill chaincase with 80-90 gear oil????????? Do what ya gotta do to go riding today, fixer'up with the right stuff later!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think I'd prefer plain old 10W-30 over tranny fluid. If you really need the cling factor, perhaps you're riding way too slow. There's bound to be oil all over everything inside that case when you're moving over 20 mph, regardless what it is exactly.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I think it would be alright if you filled at least 1/2 of the case full but then it would probaly blow out the vents. People that think if a tranny or transfer case can run it then why not a sled.
What they dont take into consideration is they are bathed in fluid where a mere 8oz in a snowmobile case is mosty taken up by just the chain itself.
Just run 80/90 synthetic, it will be warm and thin in just a few miles and stay that way for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
like i said before the main thing i'd be concerned about is what ever you use stays in the chain case. my f7 leaked out the jackshaft seal when it was new. changed to syn. trans gear oil and is fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts