Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, two questions regarding my 2003 EDGE 500 with m-10 with 1,100 miles

first of all i am wondering if there is some sort of adjustment regarding the forward gear. Some times when accelerating fast or traveling at a fast speed the sled will pop out of gear, usually when hitting a bump.

Also when accelerating hard i think the drive sprocket (which is black hard plastic) seems to be slipping on the track and making a bad grinding noise. Could the sprocket need replaced or is there an adjustment so there is less traction to the ground and more force on the skis, or could the track need tightened?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Answer to first question is yes. Forward/reverse linkage is definetly adjustable.

Second question regarding slipping could be, and with a 500 more than likely is, in the same neck of the woods - that chain case. Have you ever adjusted your chain?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i have never adjusted the chain. I really don't think it is the chain because of the sound it makes. it sounds to me like the drive sprocket is slipping on the track, but i am no expert. If it is the chain how would i go about adjusting it and also adjusting the linkage? thanks.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I see you've dropped the part of the note regarding the grinding in a couple of places (one of them several times :D ). Rather than answer it again, only to repeat what you've already seen, suggest you follow Pocket's advice. It would pretty much match my own.

To adjust the shift linkage, disconnect the linkage at the bellcrank, where it leads down to the lever on the chaincase. See if it lines up correctly to reconnect it at that point - without having to pull on anything. If it does, you likely have some trouble inside the chaincase. If it does not readily line up, adjust the length of that rod so that it's the right length to line up, then reinstall. Hopefully, that's all you need to do.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
you can tighten the track. should fix the ratcheting. not too tight, you want an inch gap between the track and rail when you pick the rear off the ground.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The problem is the M-10's tighten the track as the suspension collapses. If you start out too snug, you get into hyfax wear problems.

Pockets has him checking for irregular height drive lugs on his track, and abnormal wear on his drivers.

I guess what I was thinking is that if you can eliminate the chance that what he's hearing is in the chaincase, you can go to the normal "run it as loose as you can without racheting" advice. In this case, if the noise isn't in the case, he should be seeing a ton of slack in that track. I could run 3-4" no trouble with my XCR without slipping. FWIW

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
classic M10 ratchet

get some anti ratchet sprockets(the big plastic ones)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts