Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if we're going to have a get together next winter (in Ontario I guess.....) I will have to get my 670 there somehow

The way I see it, I have two options: Pull my sled for almost 30 hours (sharing the driving with SnowMonkey of course...he just doesn't knwo it yet
) Or put it on a train. Via Rail can get ME there, but they refuse to take my sled. That would mean putting it on another rail line. Then, of course, someone has to pick me and my baby up

Anyone have any other ideas? Pulling my sled there gives me the security of having it with me, and I think gas $$$ will be comparable, if not cheaper, than putting the rocket on a train.

The downside...driving 25-30 hrs one way. Any other ideas?

I think renting will be more expensive than getting my own sled out there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You could make one #### of a ride  

if trails can get you there of course.

My cousin had his summit shipped from Alberta for 500$  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
When we pulled into Kapuskasing this past winter, there was an eastbound tractor trailer loaded with lumber. At the back on top of the rearmost bundles or lifts (whatever they call them) of lumber were 2 sleds. One looked like a mod Summit. They were covered, but not a normal sled cover. What a mess!!

They were completely covered in slop & slush from the road. I don't think a normal sled cover would have made a difference.

A dry van would be the only way to go. Why not call some of the trucking companies that haul to Toronto & see what it would cost? When I've been riding along Hwy. #11 I've seen TCT, Arnold Bros., Tri Line , Trans X, Quick X rigs to name a few. I'm sure Greyhound runs thru Cochrane if you were to meet Team Renegade up there. Ride the bus there & have your sled shipped to a secure spot there. The Polaris dealer is right on Hwy. #11 though.

My brother says the Ski-doo dealer isn't in Cochrane anymore, so you'd have to think of another place to have it dropped off at.

AC, was that one way or return, the $500?

·
Registered
858 Posts
one way  
 He bought it and shipped it here last yr (Ottawa). He did have a good price, modded 99 summitX 670ho with EGT, 3500$

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
MY parents had a buissnes partner a few years back when they were in the trucking Ind that used to take a whole club from Flint, MI to yellowstone. Maybe this is an option. I would also say you could rent when you got there also.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would it cost to rent an 800 Renegade or mxz out there for a few days? Do they even rent out big sleds like that?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rocketman,
 the biggest sled i've seen for rent is a 600 yamaha, anything else has been ski-doo 380 touring that i have noticed.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Rocket- I know where you can rent an 800 gade.I think it is $220.00 but we know this guy pretty well and my friend Gumby has had lots of business with this guy too so the price may be negotible.If I had my choice I'd trailer them out here as long as you have a verrry reliable truck. Be nice if you could get your hands on a dodge CTD. If you dont already have an in-line trani cooler in your truck get one installed.

Rev- I was pm'ed by panteraone who tells me there is know a doo dealer in cochrane, and the guy has lots of $$$$ backing him so he will be there for awhile.

Rocket we will fetch you if need be from the airport or train station I think we are getting a 4 place enclosed this winter

We are even thinking of renting a house this winter in cochrane so we can have a sled shack

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my best bet ( and cheapest) will be to pull the sled out there myself. If I can convince Snow Monkey to come, we can split the driving and get there in a day and a few hours. Would be likely borrowing my parent's Tahoe. It will make the trip no problem...not worried about that. What worries me is the price of gas next winter!  

But I will be saving up to go. When the snow hits, we need to make some plans as soon as possible!

In the mean time, I guess all I can do is save my hard earned summer cash and make sure the rocket is ready to roll come winter

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't know what kind of trailer you have or might be pulling if you decide to go that route.  But if you can transport another sled each way that would help out some with expenses.  There always is vintage sledheads looking for ways to move sleds.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hey rocket, maybe phazerhater can get a plane for the week-end and go get you and your sled

Pulling them sounds like the most logical thing to do, but dont try to doo it all at once, take 2,3 day to come down. give the tranny a rest once and a while.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Are you guys planning a get together in Cochrane? If you do, I might trailer to Elliot Lake and ride up there.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
We will definately be there 800mxz and Im sure machz69 will meet up with us again and I think Rocket and snowmonkey are driving out and it would be nice to hook up with Panteraone as well if he doesnt have to work

·
Registered
858 Posts
There's a good chance me and my brother will be there too. Doo they have the 1 pass for Qubec and Ontario thing for sleds as they have for ATV's in the abitibbi?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes AC you need a seperate trail permit for Ontario and one for quebec.
Not many of the snowmobile trails can be used for atv as alot of them are private landowners.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DanR @ June 10, 2002, 08:59am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey rocket, maybe phazerhater can get a plane for the week-end and go get you and your sled

Pulling them sounds like the most logical thing to do, but dont try to doo it all at once, take 2,3 day to come down. give the tranny a rest once and a while.[/b][/quote]
haha...no way...if I'[m gonna do it its gonna be all at once!

but Snow Monkey and I were doing some of the math...and it doesn't look good...unless one of us wins a lottery or something...the prairie boys will likely be absent  

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Well this year im not gonna miss it !

Im there and we are gonna make this one big get togeter
and rocketman, if i have to i will go get you but you are gona make it also !  

How about if we start raising some money to get rocketman and snowmonkey here.  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
After work I'll go up to Toronto & pan handle on Yonge St.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Lots of those guys make a 100K /yr ,  

1 - 20 of 37 Posts