Snowmobile World banner

Trip Across The Up In 2009?

9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  puree 
#1 ·
I have thought about this quite a few times in the past but never went anywhere with it. I would like to organize some sort of trip that starts at the bridge and runs over to copper harbor and then back in a week. It could be done with no problems and we could have a blast doing it.
I already have all the information together as far as hotels, distances, routes, and even the support vehicle route. We would need a person to drive the support vehicle (may not be that hard to find.) I figure we each chip in towards the support vehicle gas and covering the drivers meals as they cross the UP with us. This vehicle needs to haul all the luggage to the next days stay and probably haul a 4 place trailer with a couple of back up sleds in it as a just in case. I figure the support vehicle can travel along fairly close to the route we are riding so if we had a problem, we could meet fairly close and get the problem either fixed or get a downed sled loaded and get started again.
The biggest challenge would be snow levels across the UP,,,, it may be good to try the trip at the end of February.
I had also thought it would be kewl to have different people running each day,,, especially if we have someone that knows an area pretty well, they can show us some powder and have some playtime.
I have loads of ideas already together and as I mentioned, I have already got a route together (that can be altered) as well as places for dinner, lunches, and all.
I know I have had a couple of pms now saying they would be interested in something like this, but I dont want to try to put it together for this year. The final details may not come together as nice as we want and I dont want to last minute it and have problems.

I know when I put the idea together originally, I was doing it as a touring company. I had a cost together that would cover the hotels, breakfasts, dinners, support vehicle gas and meals,,,,, I dont know if we want to go that far or not,, guess its up to those interested in the trip.

One other thought. With the support vehicle, if someone did not want to ride one day, they could ride along in the support vehicle. I could probably come up with the support vehicle, but my trailer is a 3 place open. I would rather have a 4 place enclosed so we could have some tools, heat, and a sled or two as back ups in it while we cross. I want to have all the bases covered.

One last thought would be,,, how many people?? Do we want to do something like this if we have a group of 30?? If we get a big big group, why couldnt we split into a couple of groups and know where we are going each day, assign a group leader (with each group) with all information needed each morning and go at it that way.

Lets get some chatter going on something like this,,, let me know what you think,,,, some of your ideas. My brain is working overtime right now,,,, MAN LET IT SNOW!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I PM'd Brian with Rick and My interest in this..........and we still are very much interested ! It sounds like so much fun. Rick's uncle's do this every year and love it.

Snow4

#5 ·
a few of my buddys are planning to do a trip this season, anyone interested can pm me. I can get you some details. dates are hard to pin down for a trip like this. usually when the snow is there go for it. I may be interested in driving a tow vehicle ahead. I don't think I would stay with the group, as that would be almost impossible. but a drive ahead to the next stop, and hope not to return :wink: .

#6 ·
Now Barry,,, We would want you in the one of the groups,,,

I guess there is a lot more interest in something like this that what I thought. I have got a few pms, plus the hits in here. May be something to get together. I will see if I cant pull out the itenerary that I had together for this trip and see what I had again. I dont think we need to rush to get it together as we are talking next winter. I would love to do it this winter but dont know if I have the cash to pull it off this winter with other trips I already have planned.
Keep the talk going with thoughts and ideas of places of interest along the way that we may want to visit,,,

#8 ·
Now Barry,,, We would want you in the one of the groups,,,

I guess there is a lot more interest in something like this that what I thought. I have got a few pms, plus the hits in here. May be something to get together. I will see if I cant pull out the itenerary that I had together for this trip and see what I had again. I dont think we need to rush to get it together as we are talking next winter. I would love to do it this winter but dont know if I have the cash to pull it off this winter with other trips I already have planned.
Keep the talk going with thoughts and ideas of places of interest along the way that we may want to visit,,,[/b]
What if we took turns driving the support vehicle? That way everyone gets to ride and can have a break if they choose to.... Just a thought :unsure:

#10 ·
I honestly think we can find someone who doesnt ride or doesnt want to ride that would make the trip for the trip.
I know my wife wouldnt be interested in a trip like that across the UP,,, maybe she would be interested. I think if we find someone like that, it would be better. Just my opinion.

#11 ·
Brian, great idea. I have done the Superior challenge in Canada starting in Wawa, and doing both the north and west loop. Great riding, very tiring at times, but what a rush. We did it with 4 guys, no chase vehicle, but plotted out fuel stops and food stops for the entire trip. We did this for 5 years straight and it finally got way too expensive for our budgets. We normally did 200-250 miles a day, starting at 8:00 a.m. after breakfast and hoping to get to the next motel top by 5:00 p.m. so we could hit the beer store by 6:00 p.m. before they close. LOL.... Great idea!

#12 ·
What if we took turns driving the support vehicle? That way everyone gets to ride and can have a break if they choose to.... Just a thought :unsure:[/b]
I don't let many peeps drive the 500 hp truck :rolleyes: . not just anyone can , but I do let some that I think can handle 800 lbs of torque off idle in slick conditions.

#14 ·
I don't let many peeps drive the 500 hp truck :rolleyes: . not just anyone can , but I do let some that I think can handle 800 lbs of torque off idle in slick conditions.[/b]
I've got a S/G license can I drive it? :wink: Just kidding Barry, I don't blame you for that I rode in that beast :eek:hmy: I thought we were just using a normal truck not the"Abominable snow Dodge" :wink: I have a little present for ya we I see ya :cool:

#21 ·
Don't see it happening here unless someone new starts one.
90% of them have moved on, due to this sites lack of intrest in involvment of other ride events.
This group is days away of the big ride that holds dear to alot of them,25+ riders ,one home base and a week in the yooper...total blast!

mutt
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
:wink:

#22 ·
Forester, I will be doing this in 2010. Not sure on dates or anything, but I did look into it this year as far as hotels, and food goes. I am also going to try to arrange a trail vehicle to drag a couple of sleds and our gear across the UP. Should make it pretty nice not having to worry about a week with nothing but a toothbrush,,, LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.