Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a truck deck for hauling their sleds? Some feed back would be great? Im sick of the hassels that go along with trailering the few times i have to per year.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thats not my sled. lol I ride Doo, and my truck is a green ram CTD.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
permafrost,
you still have to tarp the sleds though, what those truck decks get used big time for is the mountain guys because of the narrow passages they encounter. a friend of mine has one on his 1/2 ton and he had to put a couple more springs under the truck not so much for the weight but the side to side motion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my and a buddie maid one but ours is redneckish but works awsome. we got a 82 ford 1/2 ton from my uncle for a dollor and welded a 8x9 deck for the back and put ramps on. all together the whole unit costed about $300. saves fuel to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one that fits on my '71 ford 3/4 ton 4x4 the only real difficulty is the hieght of the truck its a little hairy the first few times you load the sleds on a real tall truck, My buddy came up with a winch from a 4 wheeler that really made the whole loading thing a lot more enjoyable. I was just waiting for the day I drove home next to my sled instead of in front of it.
I have also seen the type where you slide the entire deck back for loading,again a problem with a tall truck.
I would say though that if it's just you and a friend or if you need to haul more than your trailer will fit that it's a great way to go

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. A buddy of mine is a trailer fabricator. we were thinking of taking an aluminum snowmobile trailer deck and making a box for it to sit on or mount in the tie down holes. It should be a cheaper alternative because there is no axles/bearings/wheels or wiring. When we get it done i will post some pics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's my version. All three of the sleds are 136". I never cover them and they don't got sloppy. They are up out of the road spray. I live in MN and they have been to WY,MT,and MI this way. It sure is nice not to have to pull a trailer.

lee

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice setup sks, sweet storage box too. Do you have a ramp to get them on and off or is it hydraulic ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a ramp. If you look under the back sled you can see it folded up and tucked under.

The boxes (1 on each side) are 4 ft. long x2 ft.x 2ft. It's amazing how much stuff you can get in them.

Lee

·
Registered
307 Posts
That deck rocks sks700. I think a truck with my company name on it may be seen in the future. Looks like it will handle alot better then the other way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The deck is 8' x 12'. It's actually just under 8'6" to the outside of the rub rails. I built it off of the truck and just made some "clamps" out of threaded rod and some plates for the front. The back actually has hinges on it because I was going to put a hoist under it (I still might), but I can pop the pins out easily and just lift the deck off. The truck also has Air Ride suspension so it will drop about 6" to make unloading easier. Another benefit of the Air Ride is that it doesn't bounce like a truck with springs would and it almost impossible to overload.

Lee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have a trifold ramp that I use to load mine right into the back bed of my shortbox Dodge truck.  Works great, keeps the road crap off the sled also.  I can only carry one sled, but that is all I normally carry anyways unless the wife wants to ride, then I use the trailer.  I slide the trifold ramp right underneath the sled and chain it in.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What a great setup SKS!!!  Believe it or not, I've read somewhere in the last year that someone has or is trying to make bed decks illegal...not the kind SKS has, but the ones that sit on top of a pickup bed.  I seem to remember that they were OK with replacing a pickup bed with a deck, but not putting one on top.  I forget the details of why and where, but I will try to find the article again and post it here.

Has anyone else read this somewhere??

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts