Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is there a big jump in h.p on different pipes? some people say they loose h.p and some say they gain h.p. who the #### is telling the truth. on polaris they gain h.p.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It depends on the sled, and the pipes. A well tuned from the factory sled probably wont see much HP gain unless you go from a single to twin pipes for example, another thing is people use a track dyno and then they dont clutch the sled right after a pipe change and they see a drop in track HP because of clutch efficiency. I think until recently at least Ski-Doo had the best factory pipes, only a few of the bigger aftermarket companies make Doo pipes, and if they do they are always setup to make power at a higher RPM because the factory pipes are about as good as they can get at stock RPM levels, but the others seem to be closing the gap in pipe quality, perhaps now even besting Doo (the F7 is my example) so this is not an easy question to answer by any means.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
we did not see a loss in power, but actually a 9 hp gain at peak with the twins from crank shops on a 00 700 mxz.you might not see big gains in power but you will see a nice loss in weight with pipes.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I remember when Dynotech did a 485 Phazer pipe test. All the aftermarket pipes made more HP than the OEM pipe. There also wasn't a big RPM change. They guessed that Yamaha was conservative in the design. After my PSI pipe fiasco on my 85 MX, it appeared the only way to improve on the factory Rotax pipe was to go to twins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts