Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i add mods to my sled, how much tuning will it take to get it optimum.  i want to get all the mods in this summer, and be riding top notch this winter.  is that do-able??  if not how long will it take to tune a:  heel clicker clutch kit, pipes, silencer, reeds, and a new head??  and im no sled expert, so i cant even put a clutch kit, pipes, reeds, or a new head on, so how am i going to tune them??

·
Registered
213 Posts
my opinion,if your adding higher comp heads and pipes,you better be buying egt,s...... or   know how to read piston wash and plugs .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is EGT??  im getting dial-a-jet.  but what is EGT, is that like a temp and stuff guage for the pipes??  and heads.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sledcrazy,
   Your crazy to spend all that money on mods if you don'ty even know how to tune a sled in the slightest bit. You need to get a clutch tuning book and the heelcicker set-up first. A properly dialed clutch will REALLY wake your sled up. I'd bet money that you'll blow your motor if you do all this. Especiallya head mod as jetting is darn critical.  Start out small and build up to it. We want you to have the best sledding season and it won't be if you blow a motor!
Caleb

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx sled dogg, so what do you recommend i get??  clutch kit, pipes, and a silencer??  forget the heads.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sledcrazy,
    I'm going to be learning the whole performance clutch tuning game this year also. It is key to getting the most from your sled. there are lot of stock sleds spanking modded sleds becuase there owners learned how to tune there sled. I say to get a Heelclicker set-up first and formost as it is a GREAT mod. It will be a real pain in the arse to tune though so be aware of this. But it is an incredible mod.  After you learn to tune your clutch I'd say a pipe/can should be next. You'll need a safe base line then start jetting till you find what you need.  EGT's stands for Exhaust Gas Temperture. They are a few hundred dollars but how much does a new motor cost? But besides saving a motor they willl help you get the best performance from your sled safely. But I'd wait a bit for the pipe unless you found a great deal on a used one. You'll be suprised what a tuned clutch will do to your sled. And you might want to tune for top end or for all around great perf. so in the low/mid range. I hope tha this will help you. I'm sure there are quite a few people on this site that can tell you about blown motors from a simple pipe change.
Caleb

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is such a pain in the ### about tuning a clutch kit??  and my friend has a pipe that he will give me for cheap.  thats why im getting a pipe.  so i guess im getting a clutch kit, pipe, and silencer.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sledcrazy,
   There is a HUGE difference between installing a clutch kit and tuning a clutch. Clutch kits are generic and cover basics. Tuning involves the pain in the arse tinkering that will make you faster than the guy next to you. It's a pain to remove the darb clutch and the constant pin and weight changing to get it dialed in and rocking. Be very careful with the pipe. A few guys on this site lost motors by going by the pipe manufacturers jetting recomendations. Start out rich and go from there. Hope that this will give you a better idea. I'm sure some others will be able to explain in even more detail the pain in clutch tuning versus clutch kits.
Caleb

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry to sound like an idiot, but how the #### do you tinker with it, i mean what is involved??  i have no god #### idea.  will just installing a clutch kit make a big diff or not??  but what is involved in making it better, and making it make a big diff on the sled??

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
There are different weights,springs,helixs, etc to "tinker" with sled crazy. Alot of guys start with the heelclicker than tweak it from there. The heelclicker  set-up is alot more difficult to tune compared to most generic kits. It's in-between type kit. But it rocks once tune right. I believe alot more people will run them by the end of this season.  You'll want to have your sled close to perfectly being dialed with the pipe before you tune the clutch as the pipe will change it. Trail porting makes a nice improvement also but keep it a trail porting for reliability and gas mileage. But you'll REALLY be suprised what a pipe and killer clutching will do for your lil 600.
Caleb

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sled Crazy, If you do not have a Skidoo, then the Heelclicker clutch kit is the best one out there. It has to be installed which may iinvolve machining some metal off the primary. It then has to be set up. This requires knowledge of clutching theory and an ability to test back to back runs with accurate measurements. If you really don't know any of this stuff, I would suggest you tune the stock clutch without the heelclickers to get your theory down pat. Once you understand what is happening, then get the Heelclickers and tune them. *********** ******************** ************************** He also can help with tuning etc. Tell him Fast Mach Z sent you to him. Good Luck!

edit: Posts of cometitor's websites are not allowed on snowmobileworld

Last edited by Rocketman at July 06, 2002, 6:40pm

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
sledcrazy, from the sounds of it, you are over your head already and you haven't even begun. The mods you are thinking of doing require more work than just snapping them in and pulling the throttle.
        But, the one thing that I have learned here is that clutching is done last. DO all your other mods that you want to do THEN clutch it to react to those mods properly. Otherwise you will be re-clutching with every new mod.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I learned the hard way on this clutch kit bit, so take if from me, if you don't really know what to do, find a buddy to teach you. 2 years ago I bought a new mxz600, and had the dealer install a clutch kit before I brought it home, just so I could fly by my buddies. Turned out the thing topped out at about 80 mph becuase some punk kid working for the dealer didn't know what he was doing. (me neither for that matter&#33
. I ended up taking the kit out and going back to stock. Sold the kit at a swap meet for next to nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts