Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has an 01 zr800 arctic cat and his picks both front skis off the ground when we launch from a stop. he can pick both skis quite a bit like 2-3 feet and carry it. i was wondering if there is a difference in the suspension or something i can adjust to let the front lift more. i already loosened up the limiter straps all the way but didnt know what else to try. thanks in advance for any help

p.s. im ridin a 00 mxz 700

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Lengthen limiter strap, Loosen suspention, Makesure you turn coupling off. If you have ACM take the nut off. Other then that Im not sure myself. Ive never seen doos really lift like cats.

If anyone knows how to get a Mach to lift like that please give me the set up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would not take the ACM nut off completely, just back it off.
You can soften the rear springs by turning the big plastic "nuts" behind them. It acts like a cam (similar to clicker bolt in tra clutch) in that it lowers/raises the little arms on the rear springs. To soften it, you would want to turn the nut so the thinnest side is up, against the springs arm.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You need to increase the front spring pressure.

It's all weight transfer, You increase track pressure by loading the front of the rails harder and at a more perpendicular angle.
Thats why lenghthening the limiter straps gives more track pressure, because the angle of force is more perpendicular to the rails.
Also, tighter spring pressure does the same.

If you want maximum lift, lenthen the straps all the way out and tighter the front track springs to maximum.

Doing this will make the ride VERY rough because you will no longer absorb bumps in the front track.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mkfastoys
I would not do anything to take away ski pressure you never know when you might need it. Ya your buddies sled looks cool when he is pulling but what about when the throttle is cracked @ the wrong time. Also there is no nut on a SC-1011 suspension just the limiter straps. Just my opoinion.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not many stock sleds ever lift there skis because they have so much torque, it's all in the suspension set up. We had my buddies mxz 583 liftin the skis 5 ft. in the air for 100 yards at time just by backing off the ACM and loosening the limiter strap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ya the SC10II is hard to get it to lift the skis but like 600mxz says its not cool if you can't control the sled. I saw guys with that same sled at a grass drag lift the sled up almost vertical and scoot along about 100 ft (no crap) but this was done by standing on the rear bar and cranking on the handle bars, not an ideal riding position on the trails

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cats wheelie because the shocks on the suspension is not linked. Linked suspensions cause the front and rear shocks to work together to absorb bumps. Keeping the front end down is actually a goal because you cannot turn without the skis on the ground. You can ride like your friends who probably come into corners hot, square off their turns and then hit it. You will be giving up bump performance, turning performance and comfort for the admitadly fun sensation of wheelying and looking cool. This gives me an idea for a new invention. A switch to automatically adjust the limiter strap and unlink the suspension for straight on wheelie take offs. Then you can re-engage when you hit the bumps or a turn. This way you can have maximum weight transfer for acceleration, and maximum ski pressure for turns. I don't feel like inventing it. Anyone?

·
Registered
240 Posts
P.S. Cats have gone to a linked suspension. Many Cat owners freaked out when they got their new sleds and unlinked them. Unless you go to a place with tremendous grooming and very low traffic, you are probably going to miss the absorbtion in the bumps. You can adjust to the change in turning style - all the Cat riders have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts