Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get an early jump on tuning up the sleds before winter. I have a 98 formula III 700. Towards the end of the season last year it was acting up alittle, got worse as it got warmer. I started with cleaning the carbs, They were spotless. Now I have the raves apart for cleaning, they are moderatly carboned up. Seems as if they were never taken apart. Sled has 2200 miles on it and Ive owned it for 3 years. One question I have is should I put some lube on the shafts for installation, or keep them dry. Next I am going to take the reed cages off and inspect the reeds. I shined the light in the cages and they appear to be a dark colored fiber reed. Did these have fiber reeds from factory? Which leads to my next question. Would Boyseen reeds make a big difference on this sled if it already has fiber reeds. I know they made a big difference on my 88 Phazer which had the metal reeds as stock. The way it was acting up last year was at very low, just off idle if held constant it would make a BAP,BAP,BAP sound, but as soon as I stabbed the throttle it took off, no bogging or hesitation. I was guessing maybe it could use one size smaller pilot jet, it got worse as it got warmer, but still did it when it was cold 20-25 degrees. Any other ideas on the problem? I am new to the board and have been reading and searching and have not found any issues similar to mine. Thanks for the help.

mike

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I decided to get an early jump on tuning up the sleds before winter. I have a 98 formula III 700. Towards the end of the season last year it was acting up alittle, got worse as it got warmer. I started with cleaning the carbs, They were spotless. Now I have the raves apart for cleaning, they are moderatly carboned up. Seems as if they were never taken apart. Sled has 2200 miles on it and Ive owned it for 3 years. One question I have is should I put some lube on the shafts for installation, or keep them dry.

The shafts should have a little Molybdenum Disulfide grease on the shaft near the O-ring.

Next I am going to take the reed cages off and inspect the reeds. I shined the light in the cages and they appear to be a dark colored fiber reed. Did these have fiber reeds from factory?

No, the factory reeds petals are steel with a curved steel retainer

Which leads to my next question. Would Boyseen reeds make a big difference on this sled if it already has fiber reeds. I know they made a big difference on my 88 Phazer which had the metal reeds as stock.

depending on the condition of the reed boxes and carbon fibre petals themselves, the Boysens may make a little difference but no more than that.

The way it was acting up last year was at very low, just off idle if held constant it would make a BAP,BAP,BAP sound, but as soon as I stabbed the throttle it took off, no bogging or hesitation. I was guessing maybe it could use one size smaller pilot jet, it got worse as it got warmer, but still did it when it was cold 20-25 degrees. Any other ideas on the problem? I am new to the board and have been reading and searching and have not found any issues similar to mine. Thanks for the help.

Chances are, you either have a dirty contact at the DESS plug and Socket or the wiring harness to the DESS decoder module under the PTO side of the motor has Bare rubbed through wires. Worst case scenario is the stator is on it's last legs.
mike[/b]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also , on the RAVE valves should that O ring seal tightly on the shaft. My o rings appear in good shape yet but dont fit tight on the shafts.

thanks, Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts