Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read an article on turbo cranks; they drill holes at an angle on the large parts of the crank wich creates a turbo afect. they say that an 8% h.p increase. they say there not realy sure why other then building more crank case pressure but ....... what do u think

·
Registered
756 Posts
I find 8% hard to believe, but I'm sure that the fuel should stay in suspension better.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
gimmick,thats what I think.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hmmmm could be ;)

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
other than just loss of weight, rotating assembly,I would expect nothing.which would equate to some kind of gain but 8% is really pushing that,IMHO.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
This is Advanced Racing Technology in Shields, MI. (near Saginaw)

I know the people who own this shop, and would highly recoend them for cyl. work, crank work, and just a good all around sled machine shop.

But after talking to Steve at A.R.T., I have asked for dyno sheets. He has been trying to sell me on this for 2 years now. I have told them I won't spend that kind of $$$ ($700 for a tripple crank) until I have verified info in my hand, not just a "generic" % number.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I talked to them to after reading the article in a magizine. I guess they actually gained 2000 rpms not the 200 the mag said. They never once offered a money back guarentee or dyno sheet. But it does sound like it could do as they say. Who wants to find lol
Caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
without more proof they will be the ones LOL as they collect the money. i'll save my money till i see more proof

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nothing new, people have tried and abandoned this for years. Any gains are probably from the lightened crank. At the speed the crank is spinning those holes aren't even there. Also the crankcase is cycling from pressure to vacume every stroke, it's not like a pump with a constant postive flow.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only thing I've heard is that with a possible 2-4 h.p. gain with a turbo crank, you also increase the chances of blowing out the base gasket from the added turbulence.
Just what I've heard !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts