Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My funds for the SLP Twins Pipes are finally starting to gather up. Just wondering if any of you guys have put twins on your sleds, preferably the same as mine (600 VES Engine) or know someone who has done it. Trying to see what changes I should expect. Increase in 10 HP, but how much tuning, clutching and jetting will be required? And what I'm I going to see happen to mileage (I'm guessing decrease)? It would be great if someone here has Twins on a 600 VES, so I can get some results from you. What does everyone think of SLP Pipes, good? Also thinking of VForce 3 Reeds and an UFO (Ultimate Fuel Optomizer) for the carbs to get a bit better mileage. Anyone who has this setup or anyone who can shed a bit of light, your info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks By's,
Hodder

·
Registered
304 Posts
ran a 01 600 ves in a prox chassis for 2 years. had v force and slp twins on it. all I got to say is the sled wasnt the same sled. it woke it right up. also you didnt really have to mess with the jetting to much. and it wasnt loud. it had the twin pipe sound but with a trail friendly volume.

very awesome RELIABLE pipes. deffinently buy them.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i got them on my 660 and there great. id say your on the right track though, the twin pipes are good but adding fual and air mods will increase that 10HP gain to 15-20 ver quickly. vforce3 reeds, high flow SLP air horn, the UFO if you want, some jetting and clutching and you will fly. the sled will not get as good of milage but if your going faster then an 800 and your lighter but getting about the smae milage, who cares. i only get 8 with the 660 in mine, i just have alot of fun and dont look at it as im spending all this money on gas. one thing, make sure you have the pipes springed down well, i messed up putting mine back on one time this year and the roated over and hit the shock tower putting a dent in it i have to pull out, good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! Seems these pipes are the ones for me. And Timespentsearching, thanks for suggesting the Reeds, UFO and Air Horn, that's actully what I was thinking to put on it over the summer too! Just wondering if anyone on here with Twin Pipes on the 600 VES could walk me through a bit of Clutching, Tuning and Jetting? My riding is done between sea Level and say 2000 feet, but anyone who could give a few tips on what they done would be great. Thanks Again, Hodder

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if you go to the SLP web site and click on the 600 ves twin pipes and go to intrusctions it will tell you suggested jetting and clutching for your sled. this stuff i right now i think for the most part. the clutching demend on how you like to ride and how fast you want it to go. if you looking for top end or really good acceleration. the jetting for the most part is right now. i run 500 and 520 in mine at low elevation. 520 in colder weather and 500 in average, ill want to move to like a 470 or 460 if it really warm in the spring

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you go to the SLP web site and click on the 600 ves twin pipes and go to intrusctions it will tell you suggested jetting and clutching for your sled. this stuff i right now i think for the most part. the clutching demend on how you like to ride and how fast you want it to go. if you looking for top end or really good acceleration. the jetting for the most part is right now. i run 500 and 520 in mine at low elevation. 520 in colder weather and 500 in average, ill want to move to like a 470 or 460 if it really warm in the spring[/b]
The SLP site gives recommendations for clutching, would you think this is a good setup, as in good low, mid and top end, as opposed to really good low end and not so great top end, or vice versa? As I have no experience with clutching at all. Also gives recommendations for Jets
(470 and 460 for -12 to +5 degrees). Any one else after doing this?

Also, I got all the guys on HCS, where a posted up the same topic, telling me pipes are a waste of money, very touchy and take at least a whole winter to set up properly, and even then tempreture changes can significantly decrease your preformance? Anyone have anything to say about this?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i havent had any problems but you will need to change jets to keep the power. they are a little hard to get used to, twin pipes are a lot harder to clutch and jet them a single but if you really want a fast sled it worth it. your best bet is to ust get the SLP 600 performence package, you get everything you need.
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=655
if you want to do this you can also just go 660. carls cycle 660 kit is not to expensive. youll be in about the same price range when all said and down and you can also spend more and get more performance but just a 660 will get you to the 130HP range with stock pipe. you can get there 660 pipe and it will get you to about 140 or twins and all the extra fun stuff to get you to about where i am 145-150 HP all the stuff i have was more like 2700 bucks i think when i was all done.
http://www.carlscycle.com/custompage2.asp?pg=performance

·
Registered
304 Posts
those guys on hcs sound like they havnt ever used slp pipes. or any twin pipe on stocker motors or light mod trail motors. NO WORRYS the pipes are like stock reliability.
what kind of secondary you using?? team or polaris button?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the stock Team Secondary Clutch. I know that they(SLP Twin's) are relible, but I am far from an experienced tuner. They always talk of screwing up your jetting. I know you obviously have to re-jet and do clutching, but then they say tempreture changes can affect you a lot. BUT you can get a Holtzman Tempaflow, which I'm guessing will take care of performance loss due to a change in temp(If you set your jetting levels and then install it)? And as from the clutching side of it, I'm pretty well lost. If anyone could give me a few tips, that'd be great. I'd really like to have these pipes, but if it means a winter of poor sled-performance and more time in the shed trying to tune and ect then on the snow, it may not be for me.
Other mods I'm looking at are VForce 3 Reeds and SLP AirHorn. The 660 kit does look nice, but then I have to tack on shipping prices to and from the states, which would put the price well over 2000 (My guess anyway). If I could ever get the money for it though, I would probably go for it.
Thanks once again, Hodder

·
Registered
45 Posts
slp are good pipes. i n had them on mine. its about a 10hp incress. i would suggest psi pipes. 21hp gain alittle jetting then ya have something.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
the psi one are only 10 HP to go look at their site. as for clutching and jetting the temp flow will solve all the jetting problems. for clutching how do you ride. how fast do you want to be able to go. how i have mine setup, i can only go about 85 but i can get there in 4 second (its crazy with full tranfer i can stand the thing verticla and flip it over if i want, this is with the 660) do you want to go 100, 90, 110? the higher the top end the slower the acceleration thats basically how it is. with progressive helixes though you can get a pretty good rangle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, there's not a lot of times I'll have her up to 100 MPH, but I Still like to have that top end, so I would say between 85 and 100 MPH to top out, just so I'll have a nice low end also. But I'm not sure of actully how to go about clutching? Like whats involved with it, swapping springs and weights? Thanks again, Hodder

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i think the clutching from slp is pretty good. i may go to 10-62 weight instead of 65g one. ask the guys on HCS they may now a little more. im running a lot more HP then you would be so mine is a lot different. what gears do you have in. this relaly can tell you how fast your going to be able to go. im only running 19/43 gears. you probably more like 21/41 or something like that so you will be able to pull 95 pretty easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm running all stock gearing. The guys on HCS were no help at all, pretty well completly shot down the idea for me getting twin pipes because of the fact I'm an unexperienced tuner, no help at all.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well i looked up the gears you got 23/39 which will get you to 105 MPH at full shift. id say pretty much follow slp it all seems pretty good. id say go with 10-62 weights and not the 65g one youll just have a better shift exspecially if your adding vforce reeds, air horn, and UFO's. it will shift up faster. the rest seems pretty good

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what you're suggesting is set my Jets, get a Holtzman Tempaflow, install it, get the pipes, leave the gearing stock and change my weights over to a 10-62. VForce 3 Reeds and an SLP Airhorn are also on my list, but cannot get a UFO due to the fact that my stock carbs are FlatSide, and not RoundSide which is required to install a UFO. Other than that I shouldn't have to do anything else? I mean, to get the weights swapped I can get a local shop to do that, and install the Tempaflow myself. Would I have to do anything else other than this, do you think, to get my sled running at peak performance with the pipes?
Also, would you reccomend changing the gearing, by say dropping a tooth on the drive or adding a tooth on the driven? Just wondering this, as it would give me a bit better lower end at a minimal cost of top end.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i think you got everything down pretty well except the clutching. what i am saying is fall way SLP says to use execpt use 10-62 weight instead of 65g one. i dont know what your sled has in it for clutching but i think you will need 2 new spring and wight form sure, dont know about he helix. you can run pretty good without a different helix for sure but you need the springs and the weights. the temple flow is a great thing. im getting altitiude flow for mine this year, it is a step up from the temple flow. it allows for up to 10,000 feet of change instead of 6,000. i dont think you need the alt flow because your not going to the mountains with this sled. gearing down a bit may noe be a bad idea. if you could go to like a 21/41 or a 20/40 you could have more snap. i got to go to bed but if you have more questions i cant get to them tomorrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SLP says to use SLP Blue/Yellow Spring in the Primary, and you reccomend the 10-62 weight instead of the SLP reccomended 65g. It also says to use a Team Industries Red/Black Spring in the Secondary, and a Team Industries Helix set at 60/40. Since they say Team Industries, I'll assume they are stock? So really all I'd have to change clutching wise is my Primary Clutch spring for my current Black/Blue (I Belive) to a Blue/Yellow, and swap the weight to a 10-62 (as you reccomend, reason?), and leave my Secondary AS-IS? Then set my jets (SLP reccomends 470 MAG and 460 PTO for 0-3000 Feet and -12 to +5, my riding ranges) and install the holtzman. See any possible flaws?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
chagne the spring and the wegihts yes. the reason for the 10-62 is just that it will shift better if you ever have to loose a little power form dirty VES or other things. the are a little lighter and will shift up creating a fast acceleration with the power behind it. if you ride if for a while and dont like it gog to a 65 but a 10-62 is a great weight. i think the rest is good. as for jetting i always run the smae on both sides, never run lighter in the pto but i may change now, it seems to run richer when it gets warm. i think you will have one hell of a sled when you are all done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts