Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woops! I must have clicked the wrong button at the bottom of the screen...didn't reallize I was doing a poll format.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Before I was all for Polls but now ...

I voted for the first one, sounds more optimistic about the future of 2 strokers  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
DFI is an excellent system but skidoo has already gone beyond that to SDI with two injecters.  They have already met 2008 emmitions laws and could probably pass 2010.  This is all done with out a catylitic converter.  A catylitic converter is basicly a device that is connected to the exhaust system that gets so hot it burns up any unburt fuel creating even cleaner buring fuel.  

2 strokes are the way to go in snowmobiles and nothing i have heard tells me diffrent.  

My guess is that the four strokes will be breaking down more then the 2 strokes on the trails next winter.  Look at 4 stroke outboards.  Those things are having a lot of problems.  And out of all the boats i saw on the water last year the only one that was left stranded was a yamaha 4 stroke.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
They can have my 2 stroke when they pry it from my cold dead hands.  If DFI has similar or better emissions then when the EPA raises the bar the fourstrokes will be gone too. Or you can have a four stroke with a catalytic converter, no thanxs. Maybe they will have hydrogen or cold fusion powered sleds by then,  lol

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Last year, I bought a 15 horse Yamaha Outboard for the dinghy, and even though it is quieter, more fuel efficient, and (sometimes) more reliable, I wish I had the old Johnson 15 horse 2 stroke, the Johnson never broke down, always started on the second/first pull, and was much lighter, the reasons to buy a four stroke in that small of a motor were almost unnoticable, but it supposedly is better on emmissions

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Doesn't a cat contain platinum or paladium that reacts with some of the junk in exhaust to make it less "dangerous" for the environment?  If it was just buring unburnt fuel wouldn't there constantly be flames coming out your tailpipe?
The whole emissions thing is a joke, anyway.  I remember reading somewhere that a 747 idling on the runway for one hour creates more pollution than all snowmobiles in Minnesota over the entire season.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My Sea-Doo has Orbital DI.I heard that its been around fora long time and the tried it in cars in the UK But it was still dirty so they dumped it. I dont think Orbital passes the 2006 emisions deal.....I dont know if this info is relivant cause the pole threw me off....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Two strokes will not give the longevity of 4 strokes, period.  I can see it now, honey, don't forget to drop the car off at the shop.  It has to be re-rung, afterall, it has 7,500 miles on it, and we are tempting fate.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
A cat does more then just burn unburt fuels.  But that is basicly what it does.  There are also a lot of chemical reactions and crap.

A cat can also be used on a 2 stroke so 4 strokes really dont have any advantages.

Steven Hohman:  Your comment made me laugh.  I bought a johnson 15 2 stroke and this thing never runs.  It also never brakes.  It takes a good 10 - 15 pulls to get her going then an other 2 after it stalls.   But i never needed to take it in or get parts for it.  One things for sure its a torque monster.

Now i have all yamahas 2 stroke and othere then the fact that they come from the factory with the idle to low it is a great motor.  1 or 2 pulls max evertime.  

I still got the johnson 15.  Its all banged up with corosion on it and it could be yours if the price is right.
 $10.00

1 - 10 of 10 Posts