Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i juast bought a 1997 ultra 680 for the wife from a buddy of my dads. i payed 500 bucks for it. anybody tell me anything about the ultras, i really dont know much about them

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pretty quick sled for its year, not the best on fuel, heavy. What kinda info are you looking for. Might want to reread timespent he said it was a 97.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I owned a 1997 Ultra SP - single pipe.
It was a decent sled not overly fast but would hit triple digits.
Mileage was ok about 100 miles to a tank.
Only problems I had were the carbs freezing up in deep snow as I had no hood screens.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Son had one, it was thirsty and heavy, suspension not quite up to todays standards. But for $500 it's a bargain!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i juast bought a 1997 ultra 680 for the wife from a buddy of my dads. i payed 500 bucks for it. anybody tell me anything about the ultras, i really dont know much about them[/b]
$500 bucks is a bargain if it is in any kind of shape. I've had mine since new in '96, and still love it. Yes, it is likely worse on fuel than some of the new sleds, but if you are serious about mileage, you should buy a new 4-stroke, or better yet, take up cross-country skiing instead.

Only problems I have had were a water pump after about 3 years, which polaris promptly replaced, no hassle, and long after warranty, and trying to run it on diesel once (accident...).

Great sled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
$500 bucks is a bargain if it is in any kind of shape. I've had mine since new in '96, and still love it. Yes, it is likely worse on fuel than some of the new sleds, but if you are serious about mileage, you should buy a new 4-stroke, or better yet, take up cross-country skiing instead.

Only problems I have had were a water pump after about 3 years, which polaris promptly replaced, no hassle, and long after warranty, and trying to run it on diesel once (accident...).

Great sled.[/b]

Forgot to say, a set of tripple pipes really wakes it up. The specs say they'll give you more than a 25 hp gain, and it does feel like it. It'll do around 105 mph, and that is a long track with 1 1/2" lugs. More than enough to get me into all sorts of trouble...
I also had the primary clutch re-built and partially replaced, but I think that is not too abnormal after about 5000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts