Snowmobile World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a Cat person (97 zrt800, '99 ZR600) and looking to buy a '96 Ultra for $2,000. Sled has pipes and carbs bored and dynoed at 142HP. What can I expect from this sled? How will it perform on the trails or lakes compared to the Zrt8 and the Zr6? Anything special i should know about this particular sled?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
:devil: well first if there clutched up right ect the should beet both you'r cat's with the pipes and carb works but i would recomend legand trail domantor kit i had no mayjore problems with mine they are preety heavy if you get them stuck bad you will need to guys to help you get her out but as far as a trail sled or lake runner there great very respect full in there own class and even bigger sled have a hard time keeping up with them well hope this helps have a great season

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm guessing you'll like it. I had a 96 ZRT8 and considered it a tank when compared to the Ultra. Actually haven't owned a Cat since. Much better handling and ride from the Polaris. Ultra motors generally considered very stout with no known reliability problems, actually maintain quite a following considering that they are starting to get pretty old. Huge big bore kits and long track conversions very popular with the mountain crowd on these sleds. Don't want to get crucified here, but I think the bottom end of that motor is the same, or at least very similar, to the late model XCR8's. Wedge chassis headlights are on the wimpy side compared to the late model stuff. That's the only bad thing I can think of. Suspension quite capable of a wide variety of setups. Weight transfer and coupling are adjustable. A little messing around and you can get huge weight transfer and still get it around a corner sideways if you care to. Tons of mods available if that's your thing. Prefer the machine stock for my purposes.

Price is in there for a clean one with low milage. Polaris triples with proper maintenance routinely going well over 10,000 miles in my experience.

AL

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I put 150 milkes on the 97 Ultra SPX I bought off Ebay for $2400. Now mine is the factory trip pipes and aggressive chassis keep in mind. But it runs real well. Ultras are great sleds and motors are great. Keep plenty of oil going to that motor though as the cranks don't like lack of oil. I've found from many guys that these polaris motors tend to smoke more do there oil consumption at idle. My plugs looked like they were dipped in oil till I opened her out then she leans way out so don't worry if yours look wet.
Caleb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts