Snowmobile World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An update on the 1995 Polaris Indy 440 that I purchased at the end of January, 2022.. It is a runner for sure. The few times I have been able to ride (lack of snow), I have been very impressed. There was one kind of scary time though. I was out for a little ride ... actually the first time on the trail with this sled. On the way back home, about a mile out, the temp light came on. The air temp was around 5-6 degrees F above zero, and the path back home was pretty easy (no hills and only one street to cross. So after I let it sit for a while to cool off, I decided to limp back home. She was good and warm by the time home. I figured I toasted the engine, since there was steam billowing out from the engine compartment.
Several hours later I went out and gave the rope a little pull just to see if I had any compression at all left. It felt normal, so I decided to go ahead and try starting it for a few seconds. It fires up on the first pull and sounded same as always. Further investigation revealed that I had a broken water pump belt. Couple days later I had the new belt on and it was running well. As to all that steam? It was a split overflow hose. Easy fix.
We had enough snow to take it out for another little rip. I was still thinking that I would need to rebuild the engine because of overheating it like that, but it appears that I got lucky. That thing ran like hell! Punched the throttle at 50mph and it pulled hard to over 75 (at which point I chickened out!). Haven't had an issue with it since then.

Bottom line is this thing rips! I bought it as a non-runner for 400$US. With the new seat cover, new drive belt, water pump belt, throttle and choke cables (with new choke plungers) and of course fuel lines, I still haven't put more that 300$ into it. So even at a 700$ total investment (so far) I don't feel bad about this sled at all. I love this thing, and (IF we EVER get any snow in Wisconsin again) look forward to having some really good times with it.

I will try to keep posting updates here as I proceed along with the work on this sled. And I am sure I will come up with questions along the way as well.
Cheers! - Rick

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Textile

·
Registered
1 Posts
An update on the 1995 Polaris Indy 440 that I purchased at the end of January, 2022.. It is a runner for sure. The few times I have been able to ride (lack of snow), I have been very impressed. There was one kind of scary time though. I was out for a little ride ... actually the first time on the trail with this sled. On the way back home, about a mile out, the temp light came on. The air temp was around 5-6 degrees F above zero, and the path back home was pretty easy (no hills and only one street to cross. So after I let it sit for a while to cool off, I decided to limp back home. She was good and warm by the time home. I figured I toasted the engine, since there was steam billowing out from the engine compartment.
Several hours later I went out and gave the rope a little pull just to see if I had any compression at all left. It felt normal, so I decided to go ahead and try starting it for a few seconds. It fires up on the first pull and sounded same as always. Further investigation revealed that I had a broken water pump belt. Couple days later I had the new belt on and it was running well. As to all that steam? It was a split overflow hose. Easy fix.
We had enough snow to take it out for another little rip. I was still thinking that I would need to rebuild the engine because of overheating it like that, but it appears that I got lucky. That thing ran like hell! Punched the throttle at 50mph and it pulled hard to over 75 (at which point I chickened out!). Haven't had an issue with it since then.

Bottom line is this thing rips! I bought it as a non-runner for 400$US. With the new seat cover, new drive belt, water pump belt, throttle and choke cables (with new choke plungers) and of course fuel lines, I still haven't put more that 300$ into it. So even at a 700$ total investment (so far) I don't feel bad about this sled at all. I love this thing, and (IF we EVER get any snow in Wisconsin again) look forward to having some really good times with it.

I will try to keep posting updates here as I proceed along with the work on this sled. And I am sure I will come up with questions along the way as well.
Cheers! - Rick

View attachment 35632
applinked cinema hd
Loved this vehicle man. Keep on updating it. I am also new here. Will update all my stuff in new thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loved this vehicle man. Keep on updating it. I am also new here. Will update all my stuff in new thread. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. And welcome to the Forum.
This Indy really is a good machine. It does have its little issues, but they are few and minor. Easy fixes. I do plan on taking the suspension (front and rear) apart over the summer and going through all of the parts to make sure they are all working properly. Basically going to go through the entire sled. This way next winter it will be ready for the trails....That is IF we ever get any snow around here.

I will try to post some pix here as I get into the work. Will likely post a video or two on my YouTube channel as well.
Thanks again fer the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.