Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10,054 Posts
shaft down would keep the water and ice from building up on the seals as well as building up around the shaft and causing it to pit.
good article in either this months sno-goer or snow tech talking about it.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Why are all the 08's coming out with the front shocks mounted shaft side down?[/b]
less moving weight, faster response. learned that long ago racing.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Less UN sprung weight = faster shock response and less ski oscillation over the stutter bumps

·
4,440 Posts
Less UN sprung weight = faster shock response and less ski oscillation over the stutter bumps[/b]
UN -sprung , that is the word I was looking for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I would agree with what's been mentioned, but add that this position makes spring changes a heck of a lot faster/easier for those inclined to do that frequently too. All you need to do is release the tension and drop the one bottom bolt.

Shaft on top argument went something to the sound of less potential for shaft damage. Whatever...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is there a downside - (no pun intended there ;) ) ? I have sometimes wondered why they are "always" shaft up, especially when I see the dents and dings in the barrel. Kind of hard to ding a spring.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
id agree with every single point here. shaft down is much much better. the best thing i htink is when the shock is conpessing, instead of the wiper pushing the ice and snow up andfall back onto itself, it pushes down and away. it prevent alot more water getting under the seals. also ia a whole lot easier to chagne preload, i have body down shocks. as for it breaking, shafts are alot cheaper then bodies and if you reck the body you may as well get a new shock because you recked the piston to. its just a way better idea

·
Registered
32 Posts
id agree with every single point here. shaft down is much much better. the best thing i htink is when the shock is conpessing, instead of the wiper pushing the ice and snow up andfall back onto itself, it pushes down and away. it prevent alot more water getting under the seals. also ia a whole lot easier to chagne preload, i have body down shocks. as for it breaking, shafts are alot cheaper then bodies and if you reck the body you may as well get a new shock because you recked the piston to. its just a way better idea[/b]

Havent looked into it yet but can you switch how they are on older mahcines then if there are so many benefits?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Havent looked into it yet but can you switch how they are on older mahcines then if there are so many benefits?[/b]
im sure you could as long as there is room to fit the spring retainer at the bottom moutning location

·
Registered
32 Posts
im sure you could as long as there is room to fit the spring retainer at the bottom moutning location[/b]

hmm maybe i will look into that when i get the sled in the garage, will it affect how the shock works at all???

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
hmm maybe i will look into that when i get the sled in the garage, will it affect how the shock works at all???[/b]
not enough to notice i dont think. you can always chagne it back in about 10 min

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I ran this question by a couple of shock guys that are well known and have been around for years. The consensus was the shock doesn't know the difference. Everything within them is in a sealed environment. I noticed at about the same time Polaris decided to change how they were mounting them at the factory. They've flipped them in the last few years also.

I wouldn't put too much weight in this decision. Might be something to consider the next time you are reinstalling or something. I know I personaly could never notice any difference from one way to the other. It was more a case of setting them up the way it made the most sense, not installing them the way they were because that's how the factory was doing it. FWIW

·
Registered
644 Posts
Perhaps it has had something to do with what happens when the oil type begin to leak. It looks bad. I am sure that appearances have a lot to do with how some things are done; just look at how little grease gets used in places that need it, yet they are either really stingy or they don't want any squeeze out showing. I suspect the latter.

·
4,440 Posts
[attachment=40705:selling_012.jpg] You mean like these shocks on my sled?[/b]
no not like those :whistling: . the mach is not really known for it suspention response in the whoops though. I guess I will put a pic of mine up for you ,LOL. I know its hard to see them in your mirror but they are.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The only thing I have heard about the benifit to the body down shaft up mounting, is that with the body down it may have more snow and cold air hitting it, helping to eliminate fade from the shock oil heating up. I personlly think that the benifits of the unsprung weight mounting them shaft down has more value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts