Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im about to give up and go back to stock :cussing: . I recently was wrapping up my riser mod . My problems started when I had it all re routed (cables) and when I would turn LEFT the last inch or so it would idle up . So at this point a cable extension was thought to be the fix. Well the ext is on and now it is even worst !!

It seams where ever I move the cable so slightly it will open up the carbs . The only way I can keep the carbs from opening is when the cable assy is lying straight out of the side of the sled or out up over the headlight but anywhere else it pulls the cable when I start to bend it to route it up to the bars.

Im starting to think I have to much cable now and even before the extension since I had better results without the ext.
Am I just missing a routing path ? I ve tryed to route in every way I can by following the natual curve of the cable at the splitter and up into the hoop of the steering post ,then up to the flipper.

Should I route everything and then re adjust the cable at the carb ? I never seen anyone having to do this with this kind of mod .

What the heck is going on here ??? help help

mutt

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Don't give up, man. I've never really heard of anyone else having this much trouble. It sounds to me like there is something more subtle causing the problems here. I do know that we need to keep overall cable movement to a minimum. Try to keep it from swinging all over the place. I have mine routed under the bar and between the risers. I don't like the cable being able to move around. Differences in cable radius can alter cable pull. It needs to be fairly fixed and tied down.

Don't give up. I know that this can be cured. Even if we have to wait until the cook-out and we work on it here. Bring 'em both and we'll install Allison's at the same time. I'll even have them all polished up for ya!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
is there a way to give it some slack in the cable? on a round slide I could right at the top of the carb. never paid any attention to the flats ,yet. if you can it will cure the problem. ever seen a guy on a bike do the same and try and ride I have , spun out fast and hit the pavement. adjust a little slack into the cable and you will be fine , doing so after your routing has been done. find the side that has the most pull on the throttle, adjust it while on that side. then turn the other way and check it there. this is why there is always a little slack in the cables while at the strait position.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
What about something really silly like a broken spring on the carb. Maybe not enough pull on the cable?? :whatever:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHO HOO , FIXED :thumbsup: . Thanks to idooski and dooman I got it. I routed and locked down the cable housing. Then adjusted the cable slack at the rack. Also checked the setting on the oil line , which did not change with the adjustment :thumbsup: . Finished the rest of the hook ups and I now smell like 2 stroke with NO issues :wink: .
Now I can finish thanks guys SWRules

Jason ive been everything short of crawling inside this thing , linkage was the 1st to check. Never really thought of the cable length changing as it bends(duh).

OH "TIP", a old drawing compass makes a decent set of calipers in a pinch:blush:

mutt

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
glad too help. and yes this is why SW rules :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts