Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used ZRT 600 (1996) with 3200 miles.  It seems in good shape.  It has the mountain kit on it and fox shocks with fox A arms up front .  I need to rebuild the brake though because the guy who owned it  ran the pads down to metal an ruined thr rotor.  My questions are 1-what was the stock horse power for this sled?   2-What are the  known weak trend items for this sled?  

Thanks !
Hov.

A

·
0 Posts
Stock hp is around 125 hp.  One weak point is the motor mount underneath the driven clutch, another is the bearings on the drive axle, change them now.  Every 96 ZRT I have heard of they have gone bad.  I almost forgot, take the pipes off if they are stock, clean the ends and seal them.  This is one point of hp loss.  Let me know if you need parts for your brake, I have extra calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
also check waterpump seal and shaft there is mechanical seal in there i have change mine 3 times every time i change they always change the part number i guess they  have alot of problem there  

·
Registered
413 Posts
That stock HP number seams a little high.  I had a 98 ZRT 600 and the AC published HP for it was 117 I think.

A

·
0 Posts
The 1996 listed 125 hp in 1997 AC changed the pipes and the hp dropped to 117.  FYI.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think my brother-in-law had a 96 and a 99, and he did say that the 96 was stupid fast.  He said it was much faster than the 99.  Although he did have a lot of problems with the 99.  He now rides a Tcat and say the 96 800 wasn't far from it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 96 Zerts were fast, the pipes were better ( for hp anyway) and I still think the lower travel suspensions were faster. The 96 Zert issues were... weak rear PTO side motor mount..updated by the factory in 97. The pipes made more HP but the exhaust manifold to pipe joint leaked. Made a horrible mess.  IF the manifolds were removed from the cylinders and siliconed to the pipe and then bolted to the cylinder it seemed to work fine..no leaks. The jetting was WAY fat...I've had mine wide open for 20 miles on a RR grade at 10  degrees below..sea level..320 mains ( premium- NON ethanol). They also where clutched really poor.  I used a comet purple spring with stk weights and removed a shim behind the spider. Gave me 5200 rpm engagement and crusing RPM never drops much below 6500, shifts at 8 grand ( I wanted it to run at 8200 for top end, but my motor seemed to pull harder at 8).  I also added a roller seconary with 51 helix.  Works great for the trail man! I've seen tons of zert's on ebay with 6 to 10 thousand miles. No worries..you'll love the sled!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ARCTICZRT600,
  Where in Lewiston do you ride? I'm not real knowledgable with the area but our cottage is on Snyder lake. We are the old red log cabin on the east side of the lake where the road has two bends. Out by the old artic cat dealer.
Caleb

A

·
0 Posts
Caleb, you mean Sun and Snow Arctic Cat?  Man I miss old Dwayne that owned it.  I know the place and I think I remember seeing your place.  I have 10 acres off of Town Line Rd. Actually it is on Oak Lake Trail, not to be confused with Oak Lake itself.  Been to Talley's I imagine?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts