Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to go thru my sled and do some work on it before the snow falls.  I will be tuning up the carbs and syncronizing them.  One thing that I thought about doing this winter was run some carb cleaner thru the gas.  Is this safe?  I have heard that they tend to ruin o-rings and other things.  What would be the best to use?  Also, while I am tuning up the carbs what do you think about me removing the heads and cleaning them?  Some people have told me that they have done this and their sleds run much better after doing so.  I have also heard that when taking it to a shop to get a tune up that they can do this also but for a nominal fee.  What do you guess think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Remove the carbs and disassemble. Give a good cleaning then
check float level adjustment, reassembly then reinstall.
Then sync them.

I's say drain the coolant then pull the head off. Check the
condition of the o-rings/seals, cylinder and piston. Also
check your exhaust valves out to if you have them as they
might be all gunked up and sticking. While you're at it you
can clean off the head.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info..  As far as the carb cleaner that I can pour in the tank, do you know what is safe to use?  I really dont feel like spending $6.00 on a bottle of Cat carb cleaner.  Thanks again

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i wouldn't use it. Why not just take a hour or two and disasemmble your carbs and give them a good cleaning and then re synch them? Then you'll know that they are clean and ready to go. And carb cleaners like that can glog things up also.
Caleb

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yamalubes Ringfree works really well on the total inside of the engine - don't use any kind of automobile carb cleaner in a 2 cycle engine - "like blue marble was telling people to use to help the oil work its way to the cylinder walls" - it will cause the o rings and seals swell and crack.
Amsoil's power foam works well - spraying the inside of the piston tops, cylinder walls, carbs - without the headachs of automobile carb cleaners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I was taking my heads off to clean and this was my first time.  I noticed that on the top of my pistons I have a thin black layer of something.  I was thinking that it was carbon build up but it seems like a coating.  Is it a coating or carbon?  On the edges of the piston, there are sections where the black coating looks like it is rubbing off.  Is this normal if this is an actual coating?

·
Registered
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jruppert @ Aug. 25, 2002, 01:53am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On the edges of the piston, there are sections where the black coating looks like it is rubbing off.  Is this normal if this is an actual coating?[/b][/quote]
Sounds like piston wash.
good infor here http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticles/pistondiaguide_ta.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts