Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I noticed that too and was scratching my heads as to how you would change reeds on an EFI.haha  Must be some new setup or something.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
LOL  I think we are all kinda stumped on reeds for an EFI!
  Unless there is something similiar to a reed that is used and they are just calling it V-force reeds for the sake of name recognition.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
sure you can put reeds on an EFI they are the same engines as the carb models they just have a throttle body where the carbs would be other than that the engines are identical

i put v-force reeds on a 99 ZR 500 EFI and the throttle response was improved along with maybe a little mid-range power

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ZR580s rule. Like I said before, this is my first EFI sled. I am not someone that does heavy mods to my sleds, but if I can safely make some small changes like reeds to the sled to give it a little boost, things that are plug-n'-play, that would be great. I sent Black Magic an email yesterday regarding the reeds. I just want to make sure these changes won't hurt the EFI.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I want to put reeds in my 00ZR600EFI too. I already have a pipe and chip clutch kit and can. I hope I will be able to see a difference, and am not wasting my money

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I always thought that there was something built into the throttle body that acted like reeds since there was no carbs. Never tinkered with an EFI sled though either.  
You learn something new everyday here!haha

·
Registered
315 Posts
For some reason everyone thinks the EFI sleds don't have reeds. I guess it would be easy to think that but i know for a fact that the EFI sleds do have reeds. I have a 98,99,02 ZR 600 EFI. All of them have reeds. I have asked about getting aftermarket reeds for them and have been told that they are not worth the money. The difference they make is not noticeable on an EFI sled. I have a friend who does alot of racing and he ran a sled on the dyno with and without the reeds and he said that there was no noticeable difference made. On a mod sled they do work but if the engine is stock they aren't worth the money. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ive read alot where reeds dont really make more hp for a 5-600 sled,i put v2's on my mx800 and it made a difference,excellent throttle response,i raced a buddy at top end i would pull away,then we took the reeds out and went back on the trail,we were dead even(only 30 mins later),so for my sled they seemed to work,but its the price thats hard to justify.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How hard are they to install? Any tips?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (arcticcatboots @ Sep. 03, 2002, 09:08am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How hard are they to install? Any tips?[/b][/quote]
Not sure on the EFI models, but on carb models you just pull the carbs and reed cage and replace it with the new one.  Very easy install and they come with directions.  The biggest pain with the carb models is pulling the carbs!haha  
Normaly you would jet down a few sizes also since the reeds make you run richer, but with EFI I would think that would adjust it for you to some degree.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Pantera's right...you won't get the same benefit from them on a 5-600 motor as you would on an 800 motor.
On some Cat's, you do have to cut some of the rubber flange away...but this is still easy, a straight hacksaw blade will do the trick.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is my question and subsequent answer from Black Magic:

Question:
Hi,
    I have an F7 on order, it is my first EFI sled. I was not aware that EFI sleds have Reeds. Is this something new on the F7, or is this just a typo or do all EFI sleds have reeds?
Thank you for your time.

Answer:
Not all EFI sleds have reeds.  Most of the newer model vehicles have case reed induction.  It is very prominent in today's engine packages.

Sincerely,
Timothy H. Berg
President

I am learning  

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have helped install vforce 2 on a couple efi 600s.  Its the same as a carb.  I disagree with saying the don't make a difference on a 5 or 6.  I have noticed no top end gains but the difference in throttle response on both an efi and a carb 5-6 is quite noticeable especially on the bottom end.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IRON WILL @ Sep. 02, 2002, 9:08pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For some reason everyone thinks the EFI sleds don't have reeds. I guess it would be easy to think that but i know for a fact that the EFI sleds do have reeds. I have a 98,99,02 ZR 600 EFI. All of them have reeds. I have asked about getting aftermarket reeds for them and have been told that they are not worth the money. The difference they make is not noticeable on an EFI sled. I have a friend who does alot of racing and he ran a sled on the dyno with and without the reeds and he said that there was no noticeable difference made. On a mod sled they do work but if the engine is stock they aren't worth the money. Just my $.02.[/b][/quote]
Ya Iron, I don't think they look at the decals on the hoods that say lightweight case reed twin.  ha ha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts