Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my primary clutch is getting wicked hot on my 00 mxz 700, not blowing belts but seems unusually hot? any suggestions to fix this problem or is this normal?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
goodwin blue secondary spring set @ b-5 helix 54-48, ramps 287 or gp-8's, goodwin red spring(215-375), tra clicker 3, belt 067 goodwin heavy pins 1 short , 1 long screw. other than that add weight to the pins to keep it from slipping and building heat. set-up good for 4-5 sleds in 1000 feet. :thumbsup: enjoy this beast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you mess with the clutches? are they stock? if theyve been messed with whats in em? at any rate its not normal.[/b]
nope i didn't mess with the clutches, everything is stock. although the clutch does have 17000km on it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
holy sheet...17000km, isnt that like 13000 miles! have you been disassembling it and replacing worn parts and cleaning it ?? if not learn how to doit or just pay somebody. really though a few things come to mind but commit your self to gettin r apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took it apart tonight, a nice coating of belt dust and greese on the inside, enough to make a belt dust snowball. I think that might be keeping some heat in..... ramps and buttons are in great shape,little to no wear. spring looks good but i'm debating on getting a brand new one.

·
4,440 Posts
spring looks good but i'm debating on getting a brand new one.[/b]
if you do, piece the kit I just gave you together. you will be happy :thumbsup:

·
4,440 Posts
i think i'm just going to leave it the way it is, i'v got some other tricks up my sleeve[/b]
best bang for the buck is clutching the sled.

·
Registered
852 Posts
double check the bushing in the sliding half... you would be silly not to replace the spring too but i dont think a sagged out spring would add heat. check the motor mounts and clutch alignment. check your belt deflection and of course make sure the belt is good. check to make sure theres not alot of in and out play in the secondary and it shifts all the way out at a standstill. ya know, i gotta gut feeling that dooman clutch set up rocks....somptin to tink a bot. i hate leaving stuff alone.

·
4,440 Posts
I don't think the primary spring will add heat. just help it get more clamp which is less heat, maybe? but in a secondary a weak one would. back on the primary check that thing over good like he is saying.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
goodwin blue secondary spring set @ b-5 helix 54-48, ramps 287 or gp-8's, goodwin red spring(215-375), tra clicker 3, belt 067 goodwin heavy pins 1 short , 1 long screw. other than that add weight to the pins to keep it from slipping and building heat. set-up good for 4-5 sleds in 1000 feet. :thumbsup: enjoy this beast. This setup is by the far setup I have seen on the MXZ 700, I know, I had one, and Barry's and mine ran very well. Clutches were always cool to touch. Try it! :D[/b]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put her all back together last night and went for a rip, holy #### does she ever haul now! there was alot of belt dust in the primary clutch that was prbly keeping the heat in. I will look at that clutch kit, but the set up I have now is tried and true. I couldn't imagine this 700 pulling harder than it does now.

·
4,440 Posts
Put her all back together last night and went for a rip, holy #### does she ever haul now! there was alot of belt dust in the primary clutch that was prbly keeping the heat in. I will look at that clutch kit, but the set up I have now is tried and true. I couldn't imagine this 700 pulling harder than it does now.[/b]
whats in her now?

·
Registered
59 Posts
TNT, seriously take Doomans advice, that setup will kill whatever you have. I have 00 Mxz 700 and couple years back Dooman gave me this setup (as a secret then) :)

My sled pulls harder than a bull that got slapped in the nuts! It is unreal !!!! I still have the sled and overhauled the motor at 6000 miles...... it is awesome. Top end is about the same but getting to top speed he's not lying. 4-5 sled lengths quicker...

Put her all back together last night and went for a rip, holy #### does she ever haul now! there was alot of belt dust in the primary clutch that was prbly keeping the heat in. I will look at that clutch kit, but the set up I have now is tried and true. I couldn't imagine this 700 pulling harder than it does now.[/b]

·
4,440 Posts
TNT, seriously take Doomans advice, that setup will kill whatever you have. I have 00 Mxz 700 and couple years back Dooman gave me this setup (as a secret then) :)

My sled pulls harder than a bull that got slapped in the nuts! It is unreal !!!! I still have the sled and overhauled the motor at 6000 miles...... it is awesome. Top end is about the same but getting to top speed he's not lying. 4-5 sled lengths quicker...[/b]
cats out of the bag. now I have an 800 so the 700 is not a classified sled any longer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeh, I still have mine and love it, I have 2yr old twins so I have to put off getting a new sled for a while. Daycare is a spendy w/ 3 kids!!

Yeh the setup is awesome, I do go thru one belt every season though, the top edge where that rope is start fraying. I have it aligned good just that it is so aggressive it must have alot of belt squeeze. she's quick though!

cats out of the bag. now I have an 800 so the 700 is not a classified sled any longer. :rolleyes:[/b]

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
if your heating problem is still there check your drive bearings. bad bearings will cause clutches to heat up big time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts