Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A groomer operator passed away after freezing to death this morning,while trying to get help after sinking the groomer

CARLING TWP. - A Nobel man was found dead beside Highway 69 today after his groomer went through the ice on Bear Lake.

Wearing only jeans and a flannel shirt, Michael Ryman walked 1.6 kilometres from Bear (Wiwassasegen) Lake toward Highway 69 after the groomer went through the ice.

His body was found early Tuesday where the trail meets Highway 69, about 1.5 kilometres north of Woods Road.

West Parry Sound OPP were contacted by the local snowmobile club at about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Mr. Ryman, 61, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Carling Trailblazers Snowmobile Club president Paul Bushey was unable to comment on the accident and said more would be known tomorrow.

“We’re just trying to find out ourselves,” he said Tuesday morning.

According to Environment Canada, the temperature dropped to -22.8 Monday night. Police continued to investigate the accident Tuesday afternoon.[/b]
My condolences to his family

I hope this tradegy can be averted next time with new policies

Each season we hear about groomers going through ice,sometimes the make it out other times unfortunately they do not

I rode this area 2 days ago

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I first read it, I thought the groomer[machine] "passed away"[died]. I laughed... :confused:

That's terrible, very sorry to hear, and prayers go out to his family...

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
What a sad story indeed :( Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Snow4

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sometimes we ask our creator why after something like this. that's terrible.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
That is indeed sad news, and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

It seems that often groomer operators don't dress for the weather because of the warmth and comfort in the cab of the machine. They really should carry emergency gear with them.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this, condolences to the family.

I am very surprised that he was grooming a lake. I thought after the husband and wife died in Algonquin a few years back grooming a runway on the lake for MNR planes. I was under the impression that ALL grooming of lakes was to cease.

Permafrost

·
Registered
629 Posts
R.I.P , I am surprised that grommer drivers do not have safety gear with them especially at night when they are many miles away from help. I think it should be mandatory every grommer has a Sat phone in it, if you look at the price of a grommer a sat phone and a new phone card every year is a small price to pay.

It's to bad things like this have to hapen to get anything changed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
very sory to hear that news,this kinda takes the joy out of things.our prayers and thoughts go out to his family and friends. team wisz

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another avoidable tragedy. I'm sorry, but the OFSC is trying to open trails so that their funding will be there for next year. Trails have been groomed with only 8" of snow on them and are listed as "Open - Limited". There is NO excuse for this, as there are dangerously large rocks, and unsafe ice EVERYWHERE! Land trails should be CLOSED until we get more snow, and lake trails should be CLOSED PERIOD for this year (Up in this area anyways). Odd weather conditions have caused unstable ice conditions everywhere up here, and as a matter of fact even the small lakes only have about a foot of ice on them, even though we've had -20 or colder weather for almost 3 weeks.
Getting a trail "Open" is not important enough to warrant risking the lives of the groomers or snowmobilers. 8" of ice is MORE than enough to hold the weight of a groomer, so it makes me wonder what exactly happened here. And why the ice conditions weren't tested before sending a groomer out.
I feel horrible for the familly of this gentleman, as I highly doubt they'll ever get the answers they're looking for as to why and how this tragedy was even possible.

And to those here that are involved in the OFSC trail system.....remember.....the funding is NOT that important. Worst case scenario, the OFSC doesn't get the funding they need, and trails have to be closed next year. That would really suck, but I for one am willing to ride crappy trails next year if it means preventing such a horrific accident!

·
Registered
593 Posts
R.I.P , I am surprised that grommer drivers do not have safety gear with them especially at night when they are many miles away from help. I think it should be mandatory every grommer has a Sat phone in it, if you look at the price of a grommer a sat phone and a new phone card every year is a small price to pay.[/b]
The sad truth of it is accidents doo happen. I mean even if he had a sat phone, they are hard to use underwater. I have never been in one but im sure a groomer sinks pretty quick. I'm sorry to hear this and hope something can be learned from it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The sad truth of it is accidents doo happen. I mean even if he had a sat phone, they are hard to use underwater. I have never been in one but im sure a groomer sinks pretty quick. I'm sorry to hear this and hope something can be learned from it.[/b]

In this case he got out and froze to death walking to help. With some good gear and a way of calling for help he most likely would have survived. If he was stuck in the grommer and could not get out than nothing would have saved him. Accidents do happen but being ready for emergencies greatly swing the odds your way. It’s like wearing a floater, I can still drowned to death but it ups the % I will make it out.

I feel for his family.

·
Registered
593 Posts
In this case he got out and froze to death walking to help. With some good gear and a way of calling for help he most likely would have survived. If he was stuck in the grommer and could not get out than nothing would have saved him. Accidents do happen but being ready for emergencies greatly swing the odds your way. It’s like wearing a floater, I can still drowned to death but it ups the % I will make it out.
I feel for his family.[/b]

Maybe groomers should start carrying a water proof survival kit, that way the phone and survival gear could be in there. Otherwise since he was wet and froze to death the phone and everything else would be soaked too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My condolances to the Ryman family, Thank you for being one of the people that make our sport loved the way it is. Your dedication will not be forgotten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe groomers should start carrying a water proof survival kit, that way the phone and survival gear could be in there. Otherwise since he was wet and froze to death the phone and everything else would be soaked too.[/b]
Water pulls heat away from the body 25 TIMES FASTER THAN AIR. !!!

Just FYI, if anyone is ever in this situation, TAKE OFF THE WET CLOTHES, if there is powdery snow near by rub it on body (I know this sounds odd) like a towel -- dry snow will remove water.

Strangely if he had done this, he might have survived. (I'm a retired librarian and strange info sort of sticks to me.)

What really bothers me though, is that he was found at the edge of the highway. Wonder if anyone saw him while he was still alive, didn't stop?

So sorry ....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys before you guys blow this out of proportion

#1-I was in the area on Sunday

there is 2-3 FEET of snow there(look at my pics below)

this has NOTHING to do with the OFSC to get groomer out to groom

Like I said there is 2-3feet of snow down there and the club had been grooming for at least week do to ENUFF SNOW

#2-when a groomer goes through ice you do NOT have time to think all but get out

Yes there is a policy that groomers are not to go out onto lakes

ice conditions ARE tested and groomers are NOT allowed on lakes there or here

Unfortunetaly we do NOT know why he went across the ice

As a groomer he knows not to cross the ice but we will never knew why he decided to tempt fate

And the ice down there is poor due snow conditions which have insulated the ice which slows the freezing of additional inches of ice

Ice Fisherman quit playing your violin

The trails are NO "Officialy" open up here

I also belive that 90% of the trails here will NOT see a groomer out this season due to low snow

and there is plenty of ice in most places

there is a good 15-20inches in many lakes here

and as an ice fisherman you know that ice conditions are affected in diferent areas of a body of water

Stuff like this happens and always will,yet we can always look how to prevent this,but in the end,like at work if the proper cautions are not heeded upon accident do happen will happen no matter what you do

and who knows he might have taking a wrong turn

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts