Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean the V.E.S. ?

How long of a job is it and what should i clean 'em with?

Is disassebling them complicated.

I guess I don't want to do to much since the seld is still under warrantee with 700 miles on her; 500xcsp EDGE.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You are better off cleaning them frequently rather then waiting to long. It is not a difficult job.  There are 4 hex head cap screws holding the black "plastic bonnet" (I don't know the official name) The top and bottom bolts are short and the two side ones go all the way into the cylinder casting. Loosen all 4 first then remove the 2 short ones. Loosen the 2 long ones evenly because they compress the spring that forces the Guilotin valve closed. Always loosen and tighten evenly and don't over tighten because you can break the flange on the bonnet easily. Remove the bonnet and spring. You will see a stud coming through the diaphragm with a nut on it. Take the nut off and remove the metal "washer" noting which is top and bottom. There should be a generous radius on the o.d. but only on one side. Now remove the diaphragm and you should find another washer under it. Remove that one also noting top and bottom of it.

Now there is an aluminum casting (spacer) that slides off the shaft, remove carefully to save the gasket between it and the cylinder.

If the valve in not carboned up grab the shaft and pull the Guilotin valve out of the cylinder. If it is carboned up it may not move at all or only 3/8 t0 1/2" and stop.

Mine were really stuck so I slid a piece of 3/4" copper pipe over the shaft, put the nut back on and tightened if to pull the valve out. When I ran out of threads I removed the nut and put a washer on. Kept repeating the process until the valve was out. I tried gasoline, Carb cleaner and brushes . Finally used a razor knife to scrap the Guilotin valve clean.  There are some very small vent holes in the valve and I used a small diameter Stainless steel wire to clean those. The blew them out with compressed air. Since then I have been told Easy Off Oven cleaner works well. I have bought some Easy Off will try that next season.

Check the diaphragm for fatigue or cracking.

Reverse the procedere to reassemble. It's not a bad job, easy to get to. I did not have any one to talk with to figure this out so I spent almost 4 hours because they were stuck. I
used Copper pipe so I would not damage the cylinder surface.

If you have a dealer do it and they are not stuck I would think he should not charge you more than 1 hour labor. I'm burning petroleum oil instead of synthetic so I plan on cleaning mine about every 3 to 400 miles.

Good luck and keep the shiney side up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i've got a xcr800 and was wondering if the process was the same for the fuji motors.i've always brought it to the dealer in the past to have them cleaned.charged me 1 1/2 labor and would like to do my self.your explantion was nicly detailed and if it's the same sounds easy if ther not stuck.hopfully mine are'nt because i run synthic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i've got a xcr800 and was wondering if the process was the same for the fuji motors.i've always brought it to the dealer in the past to have them cleaned.charged me 1 1/2 labor and would like to do my self.your explantion was nicly detailed and if it's the same sounds easy if ther not stuck.hopfully mine are'nt because i run synthic.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quality input Snow King!!!!

And no................we do not get much snow down here in the music city but maybe a dusting. I save my time for big snow country U.P. Michigan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts