Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 00ZR600EFI with a couple of modes done, D&D clutch kit, D&D pipe and chip, a quiet can and 120 picks. About half way through this years so called season I noticed a weired vibration when I ride. It seems to be noticable at about 45-65 mph. I don't know if it is just the wheels rolling on the base plate of the studs or what? Any sugestions would be great.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
3 things to check.  

Check your drive belt.  You might even want to just change it with the spare to see if its causing the problem.

2.  Check for any loose or wobbiling idler wheels.

3.  Check all the bearings on the idler wheels.  Spin them one at a time if they sound rough just change them.  

Other then that your looking at drive shaft problems, or clutch problems.  But i highly dought its any of those.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Check to make sure your rear suspension is perfectly straight because if its not the tips of your slide rails could be rubbing on the drive sprocket.  this happened to me once with a polaris indy i had.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I had that same problem.  I found it to be just lack of snow and feeling the hard ground underneath.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a similar vibration with my '99 ZR, then the clutch blew up! This past weekend 1/3 of the spider let loose and destroyed the clutch guard. Luckly it didn't go through the hood or belly pan. Took it to the dealer last night and he claims it broke due to worn out bushings. However I feel it was more like a defect in manufacuturing. But who knows!!! I'm not positive the vibration was coming from the clutch but you might want to get it checked out. I think I'm going to have the crank checked for balance too! I don't want this to happen again, especially when my 3 year old is riding with me. Not to mention it scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I know what you mean about scary.  About 2 years ago i was riding a riding lawnmower and one of the blades had a defect and broke.  Man was it loud i just wanted to run away.  Totally destroyied the cutting deck.  But thats the risk you take when you involve yourself with extream stuff like cutting grass.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put a new belt on about half way through the season. I don't think it is that. I am kind of worried that it is the cranck shaft. It better not be the clutch it is also new this year from D&D. As for the lack of snow it can't be that, we do have snow, I feel it in the handle bars and everything.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ya thanks for some of the ideas in what to look for. I am going to check the ideler wheels and the suspension straightness. Thanks guys

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had a vibration coming out of my 01ZR6EFI.  The exhaust bolts that mount the Y to the engine came loose.  I noticed a weird vibration between 5000 and 6000 RPM.

newf

·
Registered
140 Posts
For some reason the drive axle bearing on the pto side likes to go bad, some in as little as 400 miles. Lift the back of the sled and start to turn the driven and listen and feel whats going on. There is no easy answer, only lots of work. Good luck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow I did not know that there would be so many things to check. But this is good everybody giving a little bit of info. I hope I find the problem. I have not had a chance to check I am pretty busy right now But I will get to it. It pisses me off that this is happening now cause we just got quite a dumping of snow and it may be the last chance to ride and my sled is parked.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Check the simple stuff that i mentioned. Then check the exhaust bolts on the Y-pipe.  Then check the drive shaft bearing.

TO change that bearing wouldnt take you long.  You could be out in less then half a day.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I was lookin at the sled tonight and the ideler wheels seem to be fine, the exhaust bolts are plenty tight. They were tightened when I had the pipe put on. As for the drive shaft bearing I have no clue how to check that nor do I know how to check the straightness of the suspension. And to add to the list for things I don't know, the spider on the clutch is that the helix?

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are off to a good start by trying to do it yourself. Buy a service manual from your local dealer and put it in the bathroom so you have something to read. As long as you are willing to put some effort in it you will find the problem. Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts