Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month myself and a few friends are headed west to Saskatchewan to do some trail riding for about a week. We will probably leave from Roblin and head to the Ducks and west from there. Thinking of headed north to Hudson Bay then west to PA then south to Saskatoon and then back east. Our route is not certainly not set in stone yet. We were thinking of just stopping in Vanda for wing night on Thursday to hook up with some friends other than that we are pretty much open.

Any really good trails to take, points of interest, good accomodations, or places to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I read some place the lakes are no good water... but ask Ryan & Jordan they live in sask... I'm sure they will be more then glad to help you out...good luck ride safe..

Rick

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Replied to your PM. Not to many Saskatchean guys post over here. Rocketman is a moderator that is from Saskatchewan, he might be able to help you out as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Ryan

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey there snowtoboganner! I know our conditions right now are fairly good. I just talked to a girl who was from the Yorkton area and she was bragging how nice the groomed trails were around the Madge lake area. I would definitly stay off the rivers and I hear the lakes are no better but havn't seen that for myself yet. Pa to S'toon should be a nice ride and then if your ditch banging from stoon to Yorkon and you take Hwy 5 there is some mean ditches along the way. I think 16 to yorkton would be a better choice. I wish I new more about the area but thats all I can do for now. I hope this will help you out.
Jordan

·
Registered
140 Posts
By the way you said you wanted to stop in Vonda cuz you know people out there? I know a few people from there myself. Stop there Wednesday and then we stopped in Prudhomme for wings on Wednesday night. That should be a good trek even if you head down 5 and then turn down 41.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Really looking forward to the trip.

I have a map of the overall trail system coming from Tourism Saskatchewan but it may arrive in only 2 weeks as there is some form of governments strike going on? I was on http://www.sasksnowmobiling.sk.ca . They have many maps but none of the overall trail system. I guess if worse comes to worse I could make a giant jigsaw puzzle and hope it won't fall apart when I take it out of the map bag.

As for the Vonda conection, good friends with some people who grew up around there. They now live in Saskatoon. They took us for a ride to show us where they grew up, so we stopped in the Vonda bar for wing night and had a blast playing pool, listening to the juke box, eating wings and drinkin beers. What could be better? Maybe riding sled for half the day before doing the above.

Again thanks. And if you could think of anything else, please post.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
please please ride safe too....I hope you have a blast....wish I could go but have to do that thing work...take pictures and please let us now how it went ....

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well trip was kind of a let down (mostly do to weather).

Made it to Roblin Monday and sledded to Madge Lake that night. Got twisted around going there and was confuesed. Met some people who were there for the BRP ride and found the lodge. (after travelling back to Roblin from Madge I have no clue how we got turned around).

Tuesday morning freezing cold weather. We head off for Hudson Bay and friends electric visor packs it in first thing in the moring. My visor cord breaks. We head to Kamsack and find me a cord and get my friend new helmet. By the time we are done we realise that we have spent to much time messing around and have no chance of making Hudson Bay (we had got a late start too). Head to Rhien (sp?) for late lunch turn around and head back to Madge for night. 2 miles outside of Madge the Engine trouble light comes on my sled and the guage starts doing a little dance back and forth and sled beeps at me. I slowly ride the sled for last 2 miles and make it back no problem.

Wednesday freezing cold weather yet again. We decide to just hub out of Madge Lake for next 2 days. Have a trip to Childs Lake and a little riding around both Childs Madge Lakes call it a day. Sled ran fine.

Further too this I find out both wife and daughter are sick at home and I am feeling a little guilty about not being there.

Thursday we decied to just call it quits early. Head back. We all leave fealing somewhat dejected. There is always next year...

Madge Lake is a very nice place to stay with a good variety of accomodations Cabins, Hotel, and Condos (We stayed at both hotel and Condo) and would definatley reccomend the acomotdations. Especially the condo for the extra room to stow your gear and the fireplace in the evenings. Restaurant was reasonably priced and food was very good. The two loops around Madge lake were in excelent condition on Wednesday and we were the first ones on them. Smooth like butta.

As for Pics, my digital camera died just before trip so I bought an el-cheapo disposable. When I finish the roll I will post a couple.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Wow, sorry that your trip didn't turn out better. Glad that you did get some miles in though. To bad you guys hadn't waited till this coming week. Weatherman says it's suposed to be at least warmer.(If you can believe them anymore) Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem with your sled? Things always seem to go wrong when mother natures at her worst.

Like you said though there's always next year. Maybe things will work out better for you next time. You know the way to Madge Lake now anyways. :D

Looking forward to the pics. Never been out that way at all so kinda curious to see what it's like.

Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts