Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front end on my wife's 97 Cougar gets almost uncontrollable around 40 mph.
 "Slaps" back and forth in the trail.  The scags are worn but everything else seems tight.  What do you guys think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
is the camber off on the skis? that might do it.
my dads mach 1 darts really bad too, but not uncontrollably. most sleds do a little.

- Jason

·
Registered
664 Posts
Check to make sure none of the suspension components are bent, I had a 96 formula 500 that did the same thing. The bars that support the trailing arms on my sled were both bent and I never realized it til I checked everything over. Also you could try tightening up the limiter strap which would give you more ski pressure on the ground

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
oldboy,
start by looking at the front shock of the rear suspension if it if at the lowest point then bring it up some. also check the ski pressure see how tough it is too turn the bars while you ride slow those could use a little pressure taken off if it is hard to turn.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OldBoy @ Jan. 19 2002, 7:53pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The scags are worn but everything else seems tight.[/b][/quote]
You answered your own question possily. With worn skegs, your ski may have a tendency to track where other sleds have been the most. Not a good feeling.

Pick up some 1/2" host bars, with a good 6"-8" of carbide insert, and that sled will hold a line alot better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would replace the skegs or put an easy steer kit on (only $10-$15).Also check to make sure the skis have NO toe in.The front of the skis should never be closer together than the rear (measure center to center).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, guys. I live a ways from the nearest CAT dealer so to test the bad Skeg theory I mig welded 1 and 1/2 CHAINSAW FILES ( HA! ) to the bottom of the wear rods. The sled straightened up and runs like it's on rails! Thanks for your help. ( I hope the store-bought rods track as well ! )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts