Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sled is a '95 Polaris XLT Special, 600 triple.  I may be trading it in next fall, more likely fall of '04.  I was looking at the MBRP Exaust Silencer.  It is supposed to be lighter, increase HP and torque, improve throttle response, and change sound.  Goes in stock location, and does not require re-jetting or re-clutching.  Costs 205.99.  Worth it or not?  I'm not interested in pipes because of cost, having to change setup, and the possibility of a seized crank because of extra RPM/marginal crank oiling system.  What do you think?  TIA.

Matt
www.jdsleds.com (John Deere Snowmobiles)
www.pasleds.org (Pennsylvania Vintage Snowmobile Club)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 98 XCR600 that I put a Dynoport silencer and the cost was $259 plus tax. As for gaining horsepower, the only way you gain horsepower is due to the loss of weight. The stock canister weigh's about 25-30lbs and the aftermarket weighs around 12lbs. I really liked the sound difference without the big price of pipes. My opinion is it's worth the $205 if the noise weight reduction is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have used the 3 pack dynoport on my xcr. Bought it for the wieght savings but I also found it was crisper throttle responce. This can be attibuted to leaning out the combustion a bit and running less restrictive.

I am pretty impressed and recommend it for your triple piped XLT.

I just ordered a DG 3 pack silencer and will post the differences between that and dynoport once the snow arrives.

Don't believe claims of 5-6 hp increase. It's more like 1-2. Even on some sleds you can lose 1-2. But this is insignificant and will not affect your tuning. No one can feel 1-2 hp. The gains in throttle responce is a bonus to the weight savings.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This drag racing guy once told me that you loose torque and HP with a can. The first thing I do is with a sled is find a aftermarket can anyway. Madsledhead is right you cant feel 1or2 hp anyway..........the biggest gains are in your head
but still worthit

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Its well worth it just for the sound because you dont get any more power or torque, i had one on my XLT and made it sound even more bad A$$, and the Mbrp looks tidy under the hood as well, go for it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Jwheeler... Buy it for the sound if not for anything else... I put a DG silencer on my old XLT and it made it sound awesome! When I totaled the sled out, my buddy had already laid claim to it for his XLT before my sled was even out of the woods. It was loud and sounded cool without being obnoxious like a set of pipes.

Although obnoxious is just an opinion that depends on what side of the fence you are looking from. :cussing: ][ :devil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the dyno-port on a Ultra spx and it was cool for the first 500 miles,after that it was obnoxious. I received a noise ticket with it so I replaced it with the MBRP and put another 2500 miles on before selling the sled. The MBRP is my first choice now,plus I havent seen a better built silencer from anyone else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's well worth the price, that was the first change i did to my 02 RMK 700, can't even compare it to the stock can cause i took it off before i even tried my sled....

the first 10 miles of break-in on the rmk were on the water, that's when the mbrp silencer sounds the best :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts