Snowmobile World banner

Warming Up The Engine

7K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Pepsi_fuzz 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how long you warm up a fan cooled engine before driving to avoid cold seize (piston warming faster than the cylinder)?

at 0 C?

at -10 C?

at -20 C?

at -30 C?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
When after say a minute or two of running ( you shouldn't idle a 2 stroke for more than a couple of minutes at most ), ride it nice and easy for a couple of miles to ensure all the pistons and internals are thoroughly heat soaked. Riding it easy like this keeps the engine under load creating heat and ensuring that all the internal components are heated up, or "heat soaked".
This is a good and easy way to warm anything up and especially important if you are running forged pistons that have a greater piston to wall clearence or "looser" fit. But this is a safe way to ensure all engines are properly warmed up.[/b]

I agree and this is what I have always done. Warm it up for a few minutes and then ride it very easy until I am sure it is warm.

I rode a fan cooled machine last week and was told by the local dealer that I should have let it idle for at least 20 minutes before I took off. It was -20 C that afternoon.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone.

With my 05 GSX the temperature gauge comes up within 2 minutes to off the cold position and is running warm within another 5 minutes of riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.